8. Yea, if a man live many years, let him rejoice in
them all; but let him remember the days of
darkness, for they shall be many. All that cometh
9. Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth, and let
thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth,
and walk in the ways of thy heart, and in the
sight of thine eyes; but know thou, that for all
these things God will bring thee into judgment.
10. Therefore Remove sorrow from thy heart,
and put away evil from thy flesh; for youth and
the dawn of life are vanity.
1. Remember also thy Creator in the
days of thy youth, before the evil days
come, and the years draw nigh, when thou
shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
2. before the sun, and the light, and the
moon, and the stars, are darkened, and
the clouds return after the rain;
3. in the day when the keepers of the
house shall tremble, and the strong men
shall bow themselves, and the grinders
cease because they are few, and those
that look out of the windows shall be
4. and the doors shall be shut in the street;
when the sound of the grinding is low, and
one shall rise up at the voice of a bird, and
all the daughters of music shall be brought
5. yea, they shall be afraid of that which is high,
and terrors shall be in the way; and the almond-
tree shall blossom, and the grasshopper shall be
a burden, and desire shall fail; because man
goeth to his everlasting home, and the mourners
go about the streets:
6. before the silver cord is loosed, or the golden
bowl is broken, or the pitcher is broken at the
fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern,
7. and the dust returneth to the earth as it was,
and the spirit returneth unto God who gave it.
• Directed to young people
• The three R’s
• An appeal to focus on.... What?
Thinking About Life
• Young people are encouraged to rejoice
• Do whatever you want, enjoy life
• Life is a gift from God
• Be happy
• But, REMEMBER
You will be Judged
Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth, and
let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy
youth, and walk in the ways of thy heart,
and in the sight of thine eyes; but know
thou, that for all these things God will
bring thee into judgment.
This is the end of the matter; all hath been
heard: fear God, and keep his
commandments; for this is the whole duty
of man. 14. For God will bring every
work into judgment, with every hidden
thing, whether it be good, or whether it be
Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart,
and put away evil from thy flesh; for
youth and the dawn of life are vanity.
Remember also thy Creator in the days of
How to Remember?
• In ancient times lessons were often
illustrated with “word pictures”
– Ex. Matthew 6:26 Behold the birds of the
– Also, Matthew 6:28 Consider the lilies of the
• The imagination was stimulated with a
visual connection between the lesson and
some “picture” from ordinary life
The dust returneth to the
earth as it was, and the
spirit returneth unto God
who gave it.
Vanity of vanities, saith the
Preacher; all is vanity.
Grace is deceitful, and beauty is vain; But a woman
that feareth Jehovah, she shall be praised.
8. Thou hast set our iniquities before thee, Our secret sins
in the light of thy countenance.
9. For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: We bring
our years to an end as a sigh.
10. The days of our years are threescore years and ten,
Or even by reason of strength fourscore years; Yet is
their pride but labor and sorrow; For it is soon gone, and
we fly away.
11. Who knoweth the power of thine anger, And thy wrath
according to the fear that is due unto thee?
12. So teach us to number our days, That we may get us
a heart of wisdom.
Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul
diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine
eyes saw, and lest they depart from thy heart all
the days of thy life; but make them known unto
thy children and thy children's children;
13. Come now, ye that say,
To-day or to-morrow we will
go into this city, and spend
a year there, and trade,
and get gain:
14. whereas ye know not
what shall be on the
morrow. What is your life?
For ye are a vapor, that
appeareth for a little time,
and then vanisheth away.