Marketing Strategy of
Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology
• Apple Inc. is an American multinational corporation that designs
and manufactures consumer electronics and computer software
• The company's best-known hardware products include Macintosh
computers, the iPod and the iPhone.
• Established in Cupertino, California on April 1, 1976 and
incorporated January 3, 1977,the company was called Apple
Computer, Inc. for its first 30 years, but dropped the word
What is the company know for?
The company is known for making high-end consumer
technology products featuring beautiful design and high
performance. The company is also known for its closed user
interface that makes its systems highly secure and easy to use
• Established on April 1,1976
• Founders- Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Ronald Wayne
• CEO- Tim Cook
• Revenue- $ 215.639 billion (FY 2015)
• Number of employees- 115,000 (as of July 2015)
• 478 Apple retail stores in 17 countries.
“We believe that we are on the face of the earth to make great products and that’s not
changing. We are constantly focusing on innovating. We believe in the simple not the
complex. We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the
products that we make, and participate only in markets where we can make a significant
contribution. We believe in saying no to thousands of projects, so that we can really focus
on the few that are truly important and meaningful to us. We believe in deep
collaboration and cross-pollination of our groups, which allow us to innovate in a way that
others cannot. And frankly, we don’t settle for anything less than excellence in every
group in the company, and we have the self- honesty to admit when we’re wrong and the
courage to change. And I think regardless of who is in what job those values are so
embedded in this company that Apple will do extremely well.”
Desktops- iMac, MacPro, Mac Mini
Laptops- MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Music Players- iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iPod Touch
Software- iLife, iTunes, iWork
Apple’s product launches over the past decade
have been monumental. What makes the
company so good at innovation? Is anyone
comparable to Apple in this respect?
Reasons for Apple’s successful products
• Heavy investment in Research and development.
• Closed system
• Creating, producing and launching new products is top priority at Apple.
• Products are made by understanding consumer needs and keeping in
mind that the product should be aesthetically beautiful, simple and yet
• Tesla has disrupted the internal combustion engine based automotive
industry with its electric cars .
• Tesla has given consumers a noteworthy alternative to internal
combustion engine based cars.
• The company is soon to produce a mass production vehicle that will help
the company target a very big market share and which will make electric
cars affordable and safer option to middle income consumers.
• Apple recently has only launched improved versions of its previous
models and has lacked the innovation that it brought with iPod or
• Apple has also a stiff competition with Google too which is also
know for introducing helpful and easy to use products services.
Example- Google Chrome, Gmail, Android.
How important was the iPod to Apple’s current
success? Discuss the significance of the iPhone and
iPad launches to Apple’s new-product development
• Apple was a struggling company before the launch of iPod and was on the
verge of filing bankruptcy.
• iPod was introduced and was overwhelmingly successful with its ability
to store 1000 songs and yet have a sleek design.
• It transformed the way music was listened to by the consumers and
hence the company satisfied a consumer need that the consumer wasn't
• The introduction of iPhone and iPad by Apple signifies that the
company has ventured into new market segments and has shifted its
primary focus from selling desktop computers to mobile computing
• This move was made as the company knew that Microsoft has a huge
market share in that segment and that product line is declining and
hence there was no point in focus on it.
It has been a few years since Apple’s
last epic innovation.
What’s next for Apple?
• Apple has every year increased spending on its Research and
• With around $4.5 billion, it is industry leader in investment in R&D.
• With its main aim to make products that are easy to use and which
can make interaction with technology easier, Apple is exploring new
ways consumer can interact with technology and hence will soon come
up with a new disruptive technology.
• Apple started out as a computer company has ventured into new
product segments and has found immense success in launching new
• It shifted its focus from computers when it realized that it was
impossible to beat Microsoft in this segment and the product line was
• The main factor to Apple’s success is its large investments in R&D
which enabled the company to launch new products.