Taipei 101 and formerly known as
the Taipei World Financial Center – is
a landmark supertall skyscraper in Xinyi
District, Taipei, Republic of China.
The building was officially classified as
the world's tallest in 2004, and remained
such until the opening of Burj
Khalifa in Dubai in 2010.
In 2011, the building was awarded the
LEED platinum certification, the highest
award according to the Leadership in
Energy and Environmental
Design (LEED) rating system, and
became the tallest and largest green
building in the world.
• Taipei 101 is 508-meter high,
• 101-story tower
• a five-story deep basement
• 61 elevators
• most floor plan areas vary between 2000 and 2500
square meters (21,500 to 27,000 square feet),
• Building aspect ratio (height/width) to the main roof is
about 9 based on its ‘waist’ (and 6.8 counting the wider
• Construction began in 1999 and ended this year 2004.
• Architectural style is similar to a pagoda and bamboo.
• Major materials used are glass and steel .
• Skyscrapers must be flexible in strong winds
yet remain rigid enough to prevent large
sideways movement (lateral drift).
• Flexibility prevents structural damage while
resistance ensures comfort for the
occupants and protection of glass, curtain
walls and other features.
• Thirty-six columns support Taipei 101,
including eight "mega-columns" packed with
10,000 psi (69 MPa) concrete.
• Every eight floors, outrigger trusses connect
the columns in the building's core to those
on the exterior.
The structure is reinforced by a moment frame
system linking the column on all floors.
Massive steel outrigger trusses span
between the columns on every eight floors.
Cross section of super column and reinforcement filled
with high strength concrete upto level 62.
• One of the most stable buildings ever
• Reinforced by 380 piles driven 262 feet
into the ground, extending as far as 30
meters (98 ft. ) into the bedrock.
• Each pile is 5 feet in diameter and can
withstand a load of 1100-1450 tons, that is
2,900,000 pounds each.
Taipei 101 includes a 728-ton sphere
locked in a net of thick steel cables
hung way up toward the top of the
Tuned mass damper
• A TUNED MASS DAMPER
OCCUPIES LEVEL 87 TO 91
• 736 TON SPHERE OF STACKED
• SUSPENDED FROM 4 STEEL
• IT’S A PENDULUM 0.26 OF
BUILDINGS TOTAL WEIGHT
As LATERAL FORCE pass up through
the structure, the ball remains all but
stationary; its inertia helps to counteract
the movements of the building around it,
thus “dampening” the LATERAL
• Tuned mass damper of stacked field-welded steel plates will swing as a
pendulum on steel cables.
Assembly of the Tuned Mass
Completed Assembly of the
Tuned Mass Damper
• Designed to withstand typhoons and
• Withstands 134 mph winds.
• Withstood a 7.0 Richter scale earthquake,
which only happens in a 2,500 year cycle.
• Withstood a 6.8 earthquake during construction
in which a crane fell off of the tower and killed 5
PRESENTATION BY - C.DEEPAK
II – YEAR A