By Ajit kumar Rowniyar
Quality and Safety
• Quality :deals mostly with texture,
colour and taste.
• Safety: deals with nutritive value and
free from contamination
Quality of Produce
• Industry practice is to wash and
sanitize produce in cold water.
• Low temperatures slow respiration rate
of fresh commodities.
• Retard the changes in texture & other
Safety of produce
• Warm produce in cool water results in
• Cause surface contaminants.
• Contaminants in the water drawn into
Quality & Safety of Produce
• Maintaining the water temperature 5
deg above internal temperature.
Hazards can be:
• After tea is plucked, it is shifted to
• While transportation, tea leaves are
squeezed or pressed.
• Pressing leads to breakage of leaves
and Initiates fermentation.
• Fermentation at 60-70 moisture level
leads to microbial contamination .
• Harvesting during raining.
• Grey mould growth will be high when
harvested within 3 weeks of rain.
• Survive even at 0 to 1 deg in cold