Failure is an opportunity to grow
I can learn to do new things
I like to try new things
Inspired by the success of others
Failure is the limit of my abilities
I'm either good or bad at something
I stick to what I know
Threatened by the success of others
Gives up easily
if experiments aren’t regularly
failing you aren’t moving fast enough
We believe that [building this feature][for these people]
will achieve [this outcome].
We'll know we are successful when [we see this measure].
Jeff Gothelf - “The Lean UX”
ICE SCORE (SUM OF SCORES) 3-30
IMPACT CONFIDENCE EASE
how big is the
on the business?
how confident are
you that it will
how difficult is it to
1 - 10 1 - 10 1 - 10
Where do your customers come from?
What are they doing with the product?
How can you make money?
Are they coming back?
Are they sharing your product?
Dave McClure - StartUp Metrics for Pirates
once an experiment is underway avoid
the temptation to change it in any
● failure is inevitable, embrace it
● shift from feature factory to laboratory
● growth mindset teams view failure as a starting point
● make it safe to fail
● add experimental stories to your backlog and prioritise them against delivery work
● consider ICE score & AARRR metrics
● scrutinize every failure for its learning
“Only those who dare to fail
greatly can ever achieve greatly.”
- Robert F Kennedy