Who is the Leader?A person who determines the course of a ship.
Traditional Vs Modern Leaders In traditional leadership In modern approach, leadership approach, Leader is a boss or hero Leader creates self- at center stage. leaders. He is a primary pillar of strength. He creates pillars of strength
The changing WorldIn todays changing world, work place is beset by changes.Death of hierarchyBoundary less organizationsModel companies are practicing 3 big D’s: Downsizing Delayering Decentralizing
These changes have transformed the concept of leadership from Boss-Rex to Super leaders.Who is Boss-Rex?Who is a Super Leader?
Key practices of Horizontal OrganizationsFlattened OrganizationsKey work processesReasonable authorityRewarding on relevant skillsMeasuring organizational performanceRegular communicationSignificant information
Unconventional leadership of Ricardo Semler “Before you can lead others Learn to lead yourself”
Semler’s approach towards leadershipWorkers set their own hours.Some workers set their own salaries.There are no receptionists.There are no office walls.Managers are evaluated by their employees.Employees vote on all major decisions.
The StrongmanTraditional Boss-Rex Leader.Leads through commands.Relies on position power.
Off With His Head !Boss-Rex’s Leadership costs his job.Richard Synder; Former CEO of Simon & Schuster
Strongman BehaviorsCommand and DirectionAssigned goalsIntimidationReprimand
1. Command and Direction: Commanding others. Self proclaimed king or queen. Commander, Director, Boss-Rex
2. Assigned Goals: Concerned with the achievement of goals. Identifying poor subordinate performance.
3. Intimidation: Foundation for exerting influence. Shouting on employees. Knocking over a piece of furniture. Coldly staring down an employee.
4. Reprimand: Punishing subordinates . Verbal attack Distasteful job assignment A cut in pay Demotion
Followers of the strongmanyes-men or yes-persons.Lack of creativity and innovation.Focus on guessing the leader.
The TransactorMost common type of leadership practiced today.Focus on power of rewards.
Transactor Behaviors.Interactive goal settingContingent personal rewardContingent material rewardContingent Reprimand
1. Interactive goal setting: Challenging but realistic goals. A system for allocating rewards.
2. Contingent personal reward: Intangible rewards. They include; Praise and recognition Pat on the back
3. Contingent material reward: Monetary rewards are more powerful. They include: Pay raises Promotion opportunities Bonuses
4. Contingent Reprimand:Guidelines to reprimand in effective manner: Praise in public, punish in private. Reprimand following the behavior. Focus on undesirable behavior, not the person. Make sure the desired behavior is made clear.
Followers of the transactorFollowers are sensitive to rewards.They are skilled calculators.No concern for continuous improvement.“What is in it for me?”
The Visionary Hero“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, than to …live in the great twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.’’ Theodore Roosevelt
Follow ME !!!Visionary heroes are basically inspiring.They are effective in two situations:Time of crises.Major organizational changes.
Visionary Hero’s BehaviorCommunication of leader’s visionEmphasis of the leader’s valuesExhortationInspirational persuasion
1. Communication of the leader vision: Create and communicate vision Purposeful Vision Connection to historical points or current issues
2.Emphasis of the leader values: What are values? How leader’s values help the followers? “Ethical values are more important than monetary values.”
3.Exhortation and Inspirational Persuasion: Speech is a vehicle. Exhortation exemplifies the process. Combine the words to create energy and emotions.
Followers of Visionary HeroesEnthusiastic.Dependent on leaders.Willing to go above and beyond the call of duty.
First 3 Leadership StylesControl OthersGive them DirectionOn the Basis of high knowledge
The Super Leader Dwight Eisenhower said.’’More you develop people now, the greater will be your confidence in them when you thrust bigger’’
Who is Super Leader?Leading others to lead themselvesCreating the Company of Heroes
Super Leader BehaviorMastering and Modeling Self-leadershipFacilitating the transition of Self-leadershipFostering teamworkFacilitating the Self-leadership culture
Mastering and Modeling Self- leadership What is self-leadership? Strategies to master self-leaders 1. Motivation 2. Constructive thinking 3. Enjoyment Demonstrate Model
Mastering and Modeling in influence followers in underlying aspects: Personal Responsibility Initiative Taking Self Motivation Continuous Improvement
Facilitating the Transition of Followers to Self-Leadership Delegate tasks Ignore some honest mistakes Challenging goals Training opportunities Feedback opportunity
Fostering TeamworkPrimary sources of fostering teamwork Capability Knowledge Experience
Facilitating a Self-Leadership Culture What is Culture?