A leading international ﬁnancial centre!
• Strategic location in the heart of Europe !
• AAA-rated by the three major rating agencies!
• Number 1 ﬁnancial centre in the Eurozone
(GFCI global ranking: #15)!
• 2nd largest investment fund centre in the world,
after the U.S.!
• Premier wealth management centre in the
• Europe’s leading centre for international bond
• Europe’s number 1 centre for cross-border life
The stable, efﬁcient and business oriented government is the key to
Wang Hongzhang, Chairman of China Construction Bank!
4. FinTech companies in Luxembourg can leverage the presence of a
leading international ﬁnancial centre:!
• Proximity to ﬁnancial services clients!
• Availability of ﬁnancial and technology talent!
• Continuous innovation in new products & services (incl. those requiring new technology)!
• First mover culture on new regulation!
• EU passport to distribute services and products throughout the European Union and its
500 million customers (ex. Payment Services Directive)!
• A speciﬁc regulatory framework for service providers delivering operational services to
• Proximity and business orientation of regulatory authorities!
• Strict regulatory authorities that are open-minded to innovation!
An attractive environment for FinTech companies!
The Luxembourg ﬁnancial centre!
A state-of-the-art ICT infrastructure!
• Located in the center of
the “Golden Loop”, with
low latency networks to
all major internet hubs
of Europe: Amsterdam,
Frankfurt, London and
• Secure and redundant
high-capacity ﬁbre optic
networks with very low
• LU-CIX, the Luxembourg
open and neutral
internet exchange at the
crossroads of all
European internet traffic
• National and
A state-of-the-art ICT infrastructure!
• Luxembourg is hosting
one of the best data
centre parks in Europe,
with 19 data centres in
operation (large amount
of Tier III and Tier IV
datacentre space open)
• 4 out of 10 Tier IV data
centres are located in
• Signiﬁcant government
• Broad network of
operators offering a full
range of data
processing services at
high levels of quality
Availability of high-end data centres!
8. Public incentives!
• General aid scheme for innovative companies via co-ﬁnancing R&D activities!
• RDI support and public aid for young innovative enterprises!
• National Research Fund provides research training grants to stimulate private-public partnerships!
• Full range of personalised services to meet the needs of innovative start-ups!
• FinTech companies can participate in various European programs (Horizon 2020, EUREKA, Eurostars)!
• Direct loans by the European Investment Bank (EIB) supporting the creation of innovative European start-ups!
• Venture capital schemes, private investment funds and banks !
• Medium- and long-term loans and equity stakes by a public bank, The National Credit and Investment Corporation
• Networks promoting angel investing and early stage investments in Luxembourg!
Rewarding Intellectual property regime!
• Attractive tax exemptions for IP revenues to encourage innovation and R&D!
Financial incentives & access to funding!
Public incentives complement equity and bank ﬁnancing!
9. Proportion of IT specialists!
• Luxembourg has one of the highest proportions of IT specialists among its active population.!
Skilled multilingual and muticultural workforce!
• 44% of residents and 71% of the active population are foreigners!
• The University of Luxembourg is well connected to the business and to the society of Luxembourg.
With students originating from 100 countries, staff from 50 countries as well as 60 partner universities
around the globe, the University of Luxembourg is highly international!
Competitive cost of living for expatriates!
• Luxembourg is very well positioned in Europe in the ranking of European cities measuring the most
expensive cities for expatriates, ranking 19th in the European rankings after Paris (12th) and
Brussels (14th) (ECA International)!
Availability of skills and talent!
Located in the heart of Europe, Luxembourg provides access to skilled
10. Business services!
• Companies can draw upon a wide range of business services, including major audit, accounting and consulting ﬁrms, as
well as leading law ﬁrms, IT suppliers and service providers!
Flexibility and openness to 'new business models‘ !
• Public and regulatory authorities remain open to innovation and are aware of the business needs of the ﬁnancial services
and ICT industry. The country is able to quickly adapt to disruptive business models such as FinTech !
R&D and Education !
• Robust research institutions are available to the business community. The Centre de Recherche Public Henri Tudor
provides a wide variety of research services to the ICT, and other industries in Luxembourg. The Interdisciplinary Centre
for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) at the University of Luxembourg provides high-quality research in secure, reliable
and trustworthy ICT systems and services!
Incubators / Accelerators !
• Several incubators / accelerators are available in the country to help start-ups grow their business!
Luxembourg offers the right ecosystem to support new technology
innovations in the ﬁnance industry !
offers a stable and reliable business
environment, responsive authorities that are
open to innovation, a state-of the-art ICT
infrastructure and access to a leading
international ﬁnancial centre…right in the heart
For more information: