How many of you have used the LRHS library catalog? Do you know where to find it? Go to LRHS Main page, click on Media Center Go to library catalog Demonstrate search using suggested search term. Show them how to tweak their searches.
Bellwork 4-Q3 (7 min)
“He had been prepared to lie, to bluster, to remain sullenly unresponsive; but, reassured by
the good-humored intelligence of the Controller’s face, he decided to tell the truth,
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
Answer the following questions based on the passage above from Brave New World. Use
three complete sentences per answer.
1. What effect does the repetition of infinitives (to lie, to bluster, to remain) in the first
clause have on the meaning of the sentence? How do these infinitives prepare you for
the infinitive phrase (to tell the truth) in the second clause?
2. What is the function of the semicolon in Huxley’s sentence?
Argumentative Essay Exemplars (15 min)
Read the argumentative essay exemplars. As a group, determine the
score each would receive according to the attached FSA Argumentative
• A boolean search allows you to combine search terms in different ways.
• The words AND, OR, and NOT are called “Boolean operators.”
• OR always broadens a search (e.g. dogs OR cats)
• AND always narrows a search (e.g. ketchup AND mustard)
• NOT excludes results with a specified term (e.g. food NOT drink)
• If you use more than one Boolean operator, you must use parentheses to
indicate the order of the search terms; the text in parentheses will be
evaluated as a unit.
• (movie or “TV show”) AND soccer – the search engine will look for the topic of
soccer in both movies and TV shows.
• Advanced searches allow you to zero in on your topic by letting you
direct the search engine to include or leave out specific terms.
• Choose topic for argumentative essay. Bring next class.
• Search for 3 sources. Bring sources to next class.
• Must be printed if they are articles/sources from the internet.
• If using a book/multiple books, bring to class.