• According to American Marketing Association
“Those marketing activities other than personal
selling, advertising and publicity that
stimulate consumer purchasing and dealer
effectiveness such as display, shows and
exhibitions, demonstrations and various non-
recurrent selling effort in the ordinary routine”
Features of sales promotion
• It provides inducement to buy,
• Offered for a limited period only,
• Provided at the time and place at which
purchasing decision is made,
• These are designed to generate immediate
and specific actions,
• Economic, entertaining informative incentives.
Examples of sales promotion strategy
• IPL strategies:
• Aircel: CSK sponsors,
1. two Aircel customers will get the chance to
present the man of the match award a CSK
2. The Aircel Master Blaster is launched to
engage customers on Facebook.
• IDEA cellular: Mumbai Indians
1. Launched range of services for Idea users,
including updates on Mumbai Indians on-and
–off field performance.
2. Prizes in form of free tickets to Mumbai
Indian games and facilitate meeting with
• It is an attempt to project
different or refined or revised
product image in the market
than one that has been
• According to Phillip Kotler,
“ positioning is the act of designing
the company’s image and value offer
so that the segment’s customers
understand and appreciate what the
company stands for in relation to its
• Earlier tag line was “ India’s first iodised salt”.
• Next they changed it to “ Sabse shuddh
namak” and next is “Desh ka namak”.
• Td for the brand Ghul Mil ad talks about the
unity in diversity of India as a nation and how
its people blend with each other just the way
Tata salt completely dissolves in water,
showing that it is a pure salt.
• Generally, promotion is communicating with
the public in an attempt to influence them
toward buying your products and/or services.
• The word promotion is also used specifically
to refer to a particular activity that is intended
to promote the business, product or service.
• Product promotion is the act of advertising a
good or service with the short/long term goal
of increasing sales.
• An action taken by a company's marketing
staff with the intention of encouraging the
sale of a good or service to their target
• Promotion is the broader, all inclusive term.
Advertising is just one specific action you
could take to promote your product or service.
Promotion, as a general term, includes all the
ways available to make a product and/or
service known to and purchased by customers