• Teen terror
HORROR SUB GENRES
• Horror is an ancient art which originated from the Egyptian
and Abrahamic worlds where they believed in evil spirits and
the spirit world, moreover horror also came from myths about
darkness and demons,
• The horrors which we watch are usually based on modern
urban myths and ancient worlds, for example supernatural
occurrences and the end of the world.
• As well as they’re purpose to scare us, horrors also aim to tell
us stories about the darker side of life.
• The first ever horror movie made was called ‘Le Manior du
diable’ also known as ‘The Haunted Castle’. It was created by
a man name Georges Melies, it contained elements of horror
such as a demonic figure, a medieval castle, a flying bat, etc.
• It was released in 1896 and was about three minutes long.
• Link to the movie:
FIRST HORROR CREATED
• Typically the movie relies on the protagonists emotional
inabilities and mental fears.
• The movie is usually represented by an ideal theme of the
protagonists constant fear of something abnormal.
• The iconography is usually shown through things such as
creepy music in the background, shadows, etc.
• Usually, we see symbols which are linked to the supernatural in
some sort of way, and eventually we see an encounter between
the protagonist and the supernatural being.
• In supernatural horrors, many of the main characters end up
• The Hero- Ends up beating the horror and surviving.
• The Helpless Female- typically the main female protagonist,
may act as a side kick to the hero.
• The Non-Believer- the one person who does not believe in
what is happening and usually is the first victim.
• The Old Wise Man- The voice of reason, the person who
usually guides the hero in some sort of way.
• The Antagonist- can be a serial killer, demon, ghost, etc.
Lorraine Warren- The Conjuring
Gerry Lane- World War Z Jason Voorhees- Friday the 13th
Tim Russell- Oculus