• Emphasis of ideas and
concepts, instead of reality.
• Concepts were represented
by collections of shapes and
• Figures were represented
with simple geometric
shapes, such as
cubes, cylinders or spheres.
Las señoritas de Avignon, by Picasso
• Emphasis in the depiction of
emotions (such as disappointment, or
suffering during the war).
• Simple but dramatic techniques.
• Powerful colours.
• Dynamic images.
• Emotion showed through deformed
faces, hands or other parts of the
• The shapes of human beings were
reduced to very basic silhouettes.
The scream, by Edward Munch
About min. 17
• Movement inspired by people´s experiences
of the WWI, and especially the disillusioment
with society that artists felt as a result of the
• Dadaist wanted to provoke people by rebelling
against established models of artistic
• The scandalous Duchamp´s work was a
porcelain urinal, which was signed "R.Mutt"
and titled Fountain. It´s considered a major
landmark in 20th-century art.
Fountain, by Marcel Duchamp, 1917.