Th1_Adaptation of hybrid rice technology in West Africa
Adaptation of hybrid rice technology
in West Africa
R. El-Namaky, K. Traore, G. Kanfany, K. Bimpong, I. Diagne and B.
Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice), Saint-Louis, Senegal
Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rice (Oryza sativa L.) is the second largest crop grown in the world
in terms of both area and production.
Hybrid rice covers about 50% or 15 million ha of the total rice area
each year in China . The yearly increased of grain yield by hybrid
rice can feed more than 70 million people every year.
In Africa, the quantity of rice imported/year was 12.0 million tones
using hybrid rice with 15-20% yield advantage over improved
Inbred varieties one of the best way to increase rice production.
1- Evaluate and demonstrate performance of hybrids in SSA countries.
2- Develop new hybrid combinations in background of African
3- Establish hybrid rice seed production systems
Materials and Methods
• 170 hybrids from China (CAAS) evaluated at 8 countries (20102011) for adaptability and resistance to insect and diseases.
• 28 hybrids from IRRI evaluated at AfricaRice Sahel Station, Saint
Louis Senegal (2010-2011).
• 100 hybrids developed and evaluated at AfricaRice Saint Louis,
Senegal 2012 -2013.
• All hybrids were evaluated under recommend culture practice in
• 200 hybrid combinations were produced in small plots of hybrid
seed production through three line system
Grain yield of 122 Chinese hybrids in six countries in Africa (2010)
GxE (Hybrids* Country)
Grain yield of Chinese hybrids in five countries in Africa (2011)
Performances of IRRI hybrids at Saint Louis, Senegal
Chart of hybrid rice breeding program in AfricaRice
IRRI - CMS lines
F1- complete sterile ….
Local African varieties
F1- fertile ……
WS - 2010
DS - 2011
DS - 2010
Combining Ability Evaluation
Observational Yield Trial
Preliminary Yield Trial
DS - 2012
WS - 2013
DS – 2014
WS - 2014
New CMS lines
WS - 2011
Nominate promising hybrids for release in target countries
Identify of new parental lines
Identify new 50 restorer lines by SSR and confirmed by testcross
ARS -13 -1-3-5
ARS -14 - 2-1-2
Grain physical characteristics and milling properties of promising Hybrids
Scale (length) Grain Shape
Hybrid had high milling properties long to extra long grains and slender.
More than 100 hybrids developed in Saint Louis and evaluated in
observational (OB) yield trial at Fanaye Ndiaye (DS-2013).
PhD, MSc and BSc student from Senegal, Burkina Faso and Côte
d'Ivoire, trained on all breeding activities including hybrid rice
PhD student from Ghana &
BsC from Senegal
Challenges of hybrid rice in Africa
Slow adoption of hybrid technology by rice farmers.
Slow variety release process
The higher cost of hybrid seed production .
1. Evaluate promising hybrids with 15-20% in more countries in West
and East Africa.
2. Develop new hybrids tolerant to biotic and abiotic stresses.
3. Encourage private seed sector for hybrid seed production.
4. Enhance capacity building of NARS and private sector for hybrid
Trail of HRSP in
Are we can reach to