Slide and elaboration original by Antonio Florino
Todi Etruscan city founded in the eighth and seventh centuries BC by the Umbrian (who settled across the Tiber from the Etruscans) with the name of Tutere, meaning "border town". It developed especially between the fifth and fourth centuries BC, when, in 340 BC, Roman became buy after the name of Colonia Julia Fida Tuder (I century BC), with the right to issue currency propria.Quando was ascribed to the tribe Clustumina were built the best and most beautiful Roman palaces. During the barbaric, Todi enters into oblivion (just or nothing is known of this period, and the little information that you know are not certain), but according to some sources, the city was able to stop even Attila the Middle Ages was a free commune and then worship (under the Acts), before entering part of the State of Chiesa.Nel XII century the city experienced a new urban expansion, stretching from the Castle of Alviano, south, at the Plan dell'Ammeto Marsciano on the north by sincrinale Martani east of the mountains to the Gorge Forello above the Tiber, for ovest.Nel 1244, the three villages created by the artisan classes were surrounded by walls about 4 km long, with lots of doors and ramparts still integre.Nel 1367 became independent, to become State of the Church, and began its decline from an lordship to another (such as Malatesta and Francesco Sforza.) Angelo Cesi transformed several areas of Todi, widening streets and beautifying some palazzi.Oggi Todi is almost identical to medieval Todi, according to a press Giacomo Lauro of 1633.In Following the restoration, many Todi became part of the Carbonari and Young Italy. Garibaldi, Todi repairs after the defeat of the Roman Republic, ignited a new patriotism Todi Todi and many residents followed him, wearing the characteristic red shirts until the Third War of Independence, during which many were arrested and died in battle. Todi Here at last he came to Anita Garibaldi, pregnant and already in the grip of labor: a Shortly thereafter he died close to the Valli di Comacchio. Chased by the Austrian army, Garibaldi was forced to fuga.Todi is also known for being the birthplace of Jacopone De Benedetti (better known as Jacopone), a poet who composed dugentesco lauds historic as "O Lord, please." The old town, medieval, has the sacred buildings of prestige as the Co-Cathedral of the Annunciation, the church of San Fortunato and the convent of San Giovanni Battista. Outside the walls is the famous Renaissance church of Santa Maria of the consolation. In the Cathedral of the Holy Annunciation is a painting of Ferra ù Faenza, inspired by Michelangelo, called The Last Judgement. In the crypt there is a museum. In the crypt of the church of San Fortunato, there is a tomb of 4 saints (including St. Cassian) and, on a wall in the wall, an oval with the image of the fresco of the blessed Jacopone. Of interest is the fortress, with its 411 m above sea level is the highest point of the city. The fortress was built by Pope Gregory IX in 1373. For its construction was necessary to demolish some buildings nearby (the monastery of San Leucio and some private houses of the Borgo di San Giorgio). After several years, in 1503, was demolished by order of King Ludwig of Acts
The interior has three naves on colon and alternating pillars and covered with trusses, contrary to the presbytery, which has a vaulted roof. On the right side opens the aisle with gothic pointed arches on. The capitals of the columns are carved in Corinthian style. From one of these sticks out a curiously human head. More complex are the capitals of the pillars, sculptures of saints are placed on the side facing the aisle. The quality of the sculptures is uneven. Some (St. Peter, St. Paul) are stubby and stiff. Others, representing, S. John, the Virgin Mary, an angel, looks more refined in the pose of the body and in the rendering of the clothes. The best known and most important quality is the most successful one depicting the bust of Christ
The Palazzo dei Priori is a building site in Todi Piazza del Popolo and today home to some of the courts. Founded together with the nearby Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo and, underwent an expansion between 1334 and 1347. The front has two rows of windows made in 1513 in Renaissance style with arches around the center. Above and left stands a bronze John of Gigliaccio in 1339 depicting the Eagle of Todi. The tower, with a trapezoidal base, was built between 1369 and 1385. The interior houses several frescoes from the fourteenth century
The city of Todi is dominated by an imposing monument at the top of the hill. This is a magnificent temple with a bell tower that stands high in the sky for its daring architecture and solemn (currently visited and from where you can enjoy a unique 360-degree panorama of the city and surrounding areas
'Porta Perugina' is a bastion whose massiveness reminds you how warlike Todi was in the middle ages.
Returning to our hotel vcino Terni admire the scenery of the film Pinocchio. This was done by Benigni film actor and director
The trip was too short for my health problems. Come back soon and Tina Antonio So long, Tina e Antonio Florino [email_address]