KFDA Policy on Food Safety Control for Imported Foods_2012
27 NOV, 2012 Food Import Division
Contents I Government Agencies Responsible for imported food Inspection procedures for imported foodIII Status of Food importedIV Inspection Order V Further Information
1. Government Agencies Responsible for imported food KFDA (Korea Food & Drug Administration) Coverage : Agricultural produce, Processed food, Health functional food, Food additives, Utensil, containers and packaging Regulation : Food Sanitary Act, Health FunctionalFood Act MIFAFF (Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries) Coverage : Livestocks(beef, pig, poultry, etc.), Processed livestock products, Marine products Regulation : Livestock Sanitation Management Act, Food Sanitation Act (for marine products)
1. Government Agencies Responsible for imported food Location of KFDA and 6 regional KFDA Gyeongin Seoul Regional KFDA Regional KFDA 4 Imported Food Inspection centers Daegu Regional KFDA KFDA Headquater (Osong) Busan Regional KFDA Daejeon Regional KFDA 4 Imported Food Gwanju Inspection centers Regional KFDA 2 Imported Food Inspection centers
2. Inspection procedures and methods for imported food Imports Storage Import report to at warehouse 6 Regional KFDA
2. Inspection procedures and methods for imported food Test Types and Durations Laboratory Testing Microorganism, Nutrition composition, Pesticides Residue, Veterinary drugs Residue, Mycotoxins, Benzopyrene, Food additives, Illegal drugs, and not permitted ingredings in Korea, etc.
3. Status of Imported Foods in 2011 Category of food Food Utensils, Agricultural Processed Total Containers & Health Function products foods additives Foods packages 312,723 42,416 167,084 32,155 63,051 8,017 (100%) (13.6%) (53.4%) (10.3%) (20.2%) (2.6%) Inspection types Document Sensory Laboratory Random Total test test sampling test test 312,723 203,279 29,020 64,535 15,889 (100%) (65.0%) (9.3%) (20.6%) (5.1%)
3. Status of Imported Foods in 2011Status of Violations Type of violations Totals 1,014 Food additives 307 Specification/standards 282 Microorganisms 207 Foreign substances 76 Pesticides 44 Irradiation 25 Mycotoxins 24 Others 23 Benzo(a)pyrene 11 Ingredients 6 Veterinary drugs 6 Prohibited medical compounds in Foods 3
3. Status of imported Organic foods • Main organic products - Banana, kiwi, blueberries, coffee, etc - Teas, beverages, cookies, processed fruit-vegetable product, etc • Main import countries of organic products - United States, Germany, Italy, France, New zealand, China, Philippines, etc ** Extend the effective period for organic products, by 2013.12.31 - Addenda(Dec. 2009), ‘Foods Labeling Standards’ * 2012.12.31 → 2013.12.31(dra, in-progress) - ‘Environment-Friendly Agriculture Promotion Act.’ Requested by MIFAFF
4. Inspection Order for Foods Relevant rules - Food sanitation act, Article 19-4(‘11.6.7) - Notification on ‘Guideline on inspection order for foods’(11.3.29) Aims & Subject - To prevent import hazardous food into Korea and to strengthen responsibility of importer - 1) Foods, etc. from which hazardous substances are detected at home and abroad ; 2) Foods, etc. with high unfitness rates as a result of inspection of foods 3) Foods, etc. over which concern that such foods, etc. might cause harm is or was raised at home and abroad - Shall submit the ‘certificate of laboratory testing’ conducted food sanitary inspection laboratory or certified foreign designed by KFDA commissioner when reporting import report Examples - Inspection order for pesticide residue red peppers(agricultural produce) - Inspection order for formaldehyde made of melamine untensils - Inspection order for benzo(a)pyrene of smoked dried fish
5. Further Information - Imported Foods Information Site http://www.foodnara.go.kr/importfood http://www.foodnara.go.kr/importfood
5. Further Information at http://www.kfda.go.kr http://www.kfda.go.