Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Do New Years resolutions really work?


Published on

Many of us will set some sort of new years resolution, but within 2 weeks 50% fail. By April less than 2% stay truth to their word and carry out their new years resolutions. Don't be the majority get started the right way.

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Do New Years resolutions really work?

  1. 1. Starting Off Your Healthy New Years Resolutions 2014! Its here 2014 a new beginning, for some 2013 has been a difficult year whether it has been a number of family bereavements, redundancies, relationship breakdowns or poor health. 2014 means fresh new beginnings. As part of this people will set a number of new years resolutions whether it might be to cut out smoking, no drinking alcohol for the entire month or the most common one that is to lose weight. January is a time where you see a surge in gym attendance, fitness classes or just a general increase in physical activity. From my past experience for most people new years resolutions are short lived some give up in less than a week others in 3 months but the shocking fact is that 95% of us give up on our new years resolutions before Easter. So what do you need to do to keep your resolutions on track? 1. Goals: - Without goals you have no focus or direction so go ahead set yourself short, medium and long-term goals. I always tell my clients to set one fitness and one nutritional goal. Your short-term goal should be something that you can achieve in the next 4 weeks. Medium within 4-12 weeks and long term is
  2. 2. 2. 12 weeks plus. Did you know that 75% of weight loss could be achieved by simply changing your nutritional habits? 3. Don’t run before you can walk: - The biggest reason why most cannot sustain their motivation is because people start off too intensely. Christmas and New Year is a disruption to most people’s routines that is why I advise is to gradually build up; this is much easier to build into your lifestyle turning into healthy habits. 4. Risk and Reward: - This is very important, rewarding yourself or incentivising is importantly as this increases exercise adherence and motivation. The reward needs to be something small for example a trip to the movies or a new dress. The risk you set has to cause embarrassment or something you fear, now that’s going to be personal. I had a client that dressed in women’s clothes all day. 5. Stick to the 80/20 rule: - This basically means 80% of the time have a perfect diet; the other 20% have what you like. There is no such thing as the perfect diet but enabling the 80/20 rule you don’t feel guilty eating food if you don’t lose the weight you wanted to. 6. Commitment: - What’s the point in setting goals if you are not going to be committed? You’re wasting your time. So if you are going to doing something say you will and don’t let procrastination get the best of you.
  3. 3. If you like my regular articles get in touch and connect with me via social media. I want to offer you the opportunity to download my latest E-book ‘5 Tips to Maximising Fat Loss, Motivation and Energy Levels’ plus 3 free health assessments and three free chapters of my new book ‘Move It or Lose It’. This book is written for the corporate executives looking at mindset, diet and nutrition and exercise on the go. Don’t miss out on the big opportunity, just go to and opt-in. ▪ Facebook ▪ Twitter ▪ Linkedin ▪ Google + ▪ Pinterest
  4. 4. Adam Strong is a Personal Trainer, Athlete, Author and Transformation Coach. His company Xclusive Corporate Fitness specializes in working with executives and organizations in achieving peak performance in the corporate world. He has created 12-step programme using mindset, sports performance and nutritional strategies as a vehicle to achieve this. Adam Strong +44 (0) 7738-276169