Postal Advocate manages the mailing and shipping spends for some of the largest organizations in North America. The world is changing and so is the way we communicate. Documents still need to be generated and processes need to evolve when employees are working from home, flex office space or in the office. The webinar will focused on the new technology and services available that can help streamline your organization’s needs.
Items We Covered:
1) The evolution of shipping & mailing
2) Cloud-based shipping & mailing solutions that can support a blended workforce
a. PC Postage
b. Enterprise PC Postage
c. Multi-Carrier enterprise shipping and mailing
3) Remote Printing
4) Inbound mailing solutions that support a remote workforce
5) Virtual on demand mailing services
a. How it works
b. Onsite vs Offsite
6) Best practices and tips
The Future of Mailing - Remote On Demand Shipping & Mailing Services
The Future of Mailing – Remote On
Demand Shipping & Mailing Services
Adam Lewenberg - Background and Experience
• President of Postal Advocate Inc.
– The only mail audit and recovery firm in the US and Canada
– Manage a portfolio of over 160,000 pieces of mailing and shipping
equipment for the largest US companies.
– Speak and teach nationally on mail savings and industry trends.
• Former Industry Co Chair- Boston Postal Customer Council/Mail Systems
Management Association member. CMDSS and MDC Certifications.
• Featured Writer for Mailing Systems Technology Magazine.
• Worked for one of the largest mailing vendors for over 17 years
– Director of national sales for presort, tabletop inserters, addressing
hardware/software and green offerings.
– Was one of the top 5 account managers nationally working with some of
the nation’s largest accounts.
• Not affiliated with any mailing vendor - Unbiased advice.
September 23, 2020 2
• Our new reality
• Challenges of running a business with a remote
• The evolution of Shipping & Mailing
• Cloud-Based Shipping & Mailing solutions that can
support a blended workforce
• Inbound mailing solutions that support a remote
• Virtual On Demand Mailing Services
• Best Practices and Tips
September 23, 2020 3
New Reality – Many workers will continue to
WFH after the pandemic
• Reduced real estate costs
• Happier staff – Improved morale
– Less commuting
– More control of schedule
– Better work/family life balance
• Reduced Attrition – 95% of employers state tele-work has a high impact on employee
• Reduced unscheduled absences – American Management Association - 63%
reduction in unscheduled absences because employees can be in more control of
• Increase in productivity
• Better for the environment
Infrastructure is now set up to work remotely due to COVID-19 and many workers
will not want to go back to full time in an office
September 23, 2020 4
THE CHALLENGES- ENTERPRISE BUSINESS CONTINUITY FOR A REMOTE
Evolution of Shipping & Mailing
• Approximate dates
created the biggest
jump in adoption
Mailing and Shipping Remotely – Technology
Solutions need to:
• Access information electronically through the cloud
• Send mail and packages from any computer
• Control where items print and or what way the recipient receives the
information (Print, email, fax, text)
• Control incoming mail including how to electronically route to the
right department and recipient
• Simple to implement and maintain with limited to no IT resources
• Ability to control users and have visibility across all locations.
• Save money with a positive return on investment
September 23, 2020 7
• Order stamps to be delivered – USPS.com Postal Store
– 5-7 day delivery - $1.30 shipping and handling
• Order mailing supplies shipped for free.
• Click-N-Ship® - Generate 4x6 shipping labels online for
your packages. (Retail rates only).
• Every Day Direct Mail – Advertising mail to a covered
geographic area. No address labels, printers to fullfill
• Premium Mail Forwarding Service Commercial – USPS
will consolidate mail and expedite to where it needs to
• USPS Business Customer Gateway – One website to
be able to access all mailing accounts and services.
September 23, 2020 8
PC Postage – Fastest growth segment of the mailing
• Inexpensive compared to postage meters and typical costs range from $10-30 per
• Cloud based and can be accessed from any device.
• Easy to deploy and use – Within a week or two, you can receive your login credentials,
a scale and starter labels. There are simple online tutorials to get you started quickly.
• Visibility to all history and package tracking statuses.
• Some systems have multiple carrier options to process UPS®/FedEx®
• Significant postage savings – Some newer postage meters may come with a PC
Postage subscription to get these rates. (Some newer mailing systems are including PC Postage to get
September 23, 2020 9
Mail Type Stamps Postage Meter PC Postage Savings % Savings
1 Ounce Letter $0.55 $0.50 $0.50 $0.05 9%
1 Ounce Certified Mail with Return Reciept $6.85 $5.60-6.80 $5.60 $1.20-1.25 18%
5 Ounce First Class Parcel $4.39-4.81 $4.39-4.81 $3.18-3.63 $1.18-1.21 25-28%
10 Ounce First Class Parcel $5.19-5.66 $5.19-5.66 $3.82-4.33 $1.33-1.37 23-27%
15 Ounce First Class Parcel $7.35-12.20 $7.35-12.20 $4.94-5.53 $2.41-6.67 33-55%
Priority Mail 1LB $7.35-12.20 $7.35-12.20 $6.95-9.91 $.80-2.29 4-19%
Priority Mail 5LB $9.80-34.80 $9.80-34.80 $7.81-28.84 $1.99-5.96 17-25%
Priority Mail 10LB $13.10-59.90 $13.10-59.90 $9.38-50.38 $3.72-9.52 16-40%
Priority Mail Express $25.60-56.10 $25.60-56.10 $22.74-49 $2.86-7.10 11-13%
Prices lower than available through postage meters.
• Most common remote mailing solution
• Subscription model
• Print from any computer with an internet
connection and a printer.
– 4 x 6 - Shipping labels
• Regular paper (To be taped to the item
or use labelope)
• Avery type labels (Purchased from
office supply provider)
– Postage stamps
• Directly onto envelope (Along with
destination and return address)
• Stamp Sheets (Most common) –
Purchased from PC Postage provider.
• Vendor provided label printer
September 23, 2020 10
Cloud-Based Enterprise Options – PC Postage
Enterprise PC Postage is the same as standard PC Postage with the main difference
being how multiple locations can be controlled under a central administration license.
This offers the following benefits:
• Simplicity of onboarding new users
• Reporting on all location and user activities from a central dashboard.
• Managing billing for subscriptions, supplies and postage
• Controlling user access (This includes removing users who are no longer active)
• Single Sign On - Some systems have this option to link to an active directory to
eliminate password management.
• If you have more than 10 locations using PC Postage, we recommend having
them controlled through an enterprise license.
September 23, 2020 11
Multi-Carrier Enterprise Mail and Shipping
• Similar to enterprise PC Postage but more focused on the shipping
– More robust rate shopping between carriers and service levels.
– Create rules that can be enforced automatically.
• Example: Only director levels have the ability to do 8:30AM
shipments that cost an additional $25 each.
• Example: Intercompany shipments default to 2 day or
– Improved user management and reporting options.
– Enhanced single sign-on (SSO)
– Some systems provide the option to print postage stamps on the
same platform as packages.
September 23, 2020 12
Why is it easier for a company to send an $8
Overnight item than a $.50 letter?
• Use free carrier provided solutions
• Simple to use and defined process across
• All users can ship from any location at any
– Includes home office and traveling
• All charges are summarized by cost
center and downloadable into an excel file
• Multiple ways to process
– Postage Meters
– PC Postage
– End users purchasing Stamps
• No defined process across the organization
• The location determines how mail gets
processed based on purchased technology
– The majority of locations will need to drive to
the USPS to purchase stamps and will not
have the correct denominations for heavier
• Limited visibility to postage spends.
Fragmented process between vendors, petty
cash and credit cards.
September 23, 2020 13
• Remote workers will need online tools to print larger volume
documents at locations with the proper staff and technology.
• This is done with online tools that work through virtual print drivers
or customized integration on larger jobs.
Two Main Options
1. Onsite production facilities (In-house) – Software needed to control
the process and workflow.
2. Professional mail service providers (Outsource) – Per job or
Subscription services available.
September 23, 2020 14
How Remote Printing Works
• Print Driver - Launches the user interface
• Dialog box shows your document with a box
to highlight where the address appears.
– The address needs to be in the designated area, or a
cover page can be generated.
– Addresses can be moved to fit a flexible area.
• Variable page printing is managed by
highlighting a changing variable
Example: Invoice Number
• Additional pages can be attached by adding
Example – Special offer sheet
• Templates can be saved to re-run in the
• Jobs are sent to a virtual print cue where a
central area prints and manages the output.
September 23, 2020 15
Benefits of Remote Printing
• Flexibility with output – Through the newest tools, they give the flexibility on how
the item is sent. This can include paper, or electronic client delivery as an email, fax
• Mail Integrity - Placing 2D barcodes on each page to make sure the proper number
of sheets are being inserted. This is especially important in variable page mailings
like invoices or statements.
• Address Validation - To ensure that each piece matches the USPS database.
• Mail moves faster from central automated processes.
• Mail tracking capabilities.
• Documents are archived for retrieval in a central repository.
• Postage discounts – As you can see in the chart below, moving mail from single
piece rates to automation with barcodes provides huge savings.
September 23, 2020 16
Mail Piece Examples
Retail Single Piece
Service - First-
Marketing Mail® -
1 Ounce #10 Envelope $0.55 $0.50 $.419-.46 $.389-.439 $.259-.299 $.138-.178
3 Ounce Newsletter (6X9) $0.85 $0.80 $.419-.46 $.389-.439 $.259-.299 $.138-.178
8 Ounce Flat (9X12) $2.40 $2.40 $2.12-2.21 $1.83-2.12 $.651-.90 $.44-.69
Post Card $0.35 $0.35 $0.280 $.26-.285 n/a n/a
Single Piece Rates Automation Mail with Barcodes
Onsite or Offsite?
Things to Consider:
1. Do you have any internal production facilities that can process mail
for the field locations?
2. Is there a risk to outsourcing your mail from a client or compliance
3. What is the cost difference of insource vs. outsourced mailings?
4. How is a solution going to managed?
5. Could there be a hybrid model where offsite mail services are used
for specific jobs, to manage peak periods or for disaster recovery?
September 23, 2020 17
If staff are working remotely, how are they going to receive
incoming mail that is essential to the business?
September 23, 2020 18
The Remote Mailroom – Going Digital – How It Works
September 23, 2020 19
Digital Mail Transformation
Digital Mail Transformation creates savings from the following:
• Reduce the delivery costs of the physical pieces of mail.
• Faster response to incoming items – Example – Responding to
customer requests for information.
• Visibility to data and analytics on what is being received for
• Elimination of data entry of information because the data can be
– i.e Returned Mail- Instead of needing to key in all of the
items that the USPS sends back as “Undeliverable as
Addressed”, the system can convert these addresses into an
electronic file that can be sent to a specific area where
addresses can be checked and updated.
There are two core models for implementing this solution
• Buy the scanners and software and run with existing staff.
• Hire professional firms who specialize in this to manage the daily
incoming mail operations either from a central facility or onsite at
September 23, 2020 20
Central Administration – Key Aspect To Success
With users spread out at different locations, working remotely and with different
needs, how do you implement and manage these systems to ensure success?
Requires Central Administration
• Defining requirements
• System implementation
• Onboarding users
• Managing user access
• Case and issue management
• Monitoring usage
• Reporting on key metrics
• Quantifying savings
• Expanding and promoting usage
September 23, 2020 21
• Enterprise options should be used where possible to give you room to grow
• Analysis needs to be done to justify these solutions which involves getting
details to the core data of the current applications.
– Mail volumes
– Package spends
– Savings areas
• Support may be needed on implementation and promoting use inside your
organization. (Change management)
• Ongoing support may be needed to manage the administration aspects of
these systems. The core areas are:
– First responder to questions
– User administration
– Reporting of activities and spends
– Billing validation of the system and usage
September 23, 2020 22
• More and more people will be working remotely in the future.
• Cloud based tools are needed to support their mail and shipping needs.
• PC Postage can provide a way to mail from anywhere with an internet
connection and printer.
• Multi carrier tools are available to rate shop for the lowest costs to send.
• Enterprise versions are available to manage all users on a single platform.
• Larger mailings can be routed to onsite or offsite production facilities with
the proper equipment and staff.
• Incoming digital mail solutions can move paper electronically to where it can
be actioned quickly.
• All of these solutions create efficiencies and savings.
September 23, 2020 23
their mailing costs
Over 160,000 pieces of
by Postal Advocate
in lost postage, vendor
overcharges and fees
OVER $66,000,000 IN CLIENT SAVINGS
HOW WE DO IT
• 175+ years of industry experience
• Comprehensive web-based tool
providing visibility of all mail
and equipment spend
• Time Savings - Assistance
in fleet management
visit www.postaladvocate.com or call (888)977-MAIL(6245)
Sign Limited Agency
Provide copies of vendor
invoices, AP export,
equipment inventory list.
Present savings opportunities
and get client approval.
Postal Advocate provides
manages renewals, billing
and vendor compliance.
Provide enterprise visibility of
all spend, costs and
Provide client log-in.
4 5 6
Work with current vendor to build population
report, contract terms/start/end dates,
postage volumes, costs.
Analyze spend, check for contract
compliance, billing errors, vendor
fees/overcharges, lost postage.
Identify savings opportunities.
Submit vendor credit requests,
lost postage forms and
eliminate avoidable fees.
Negotiate pricing. Create catalog.
Work with locations -
asset validation, rightsize, termination…
Full implementation of savings.
visit www.postaladvocate.com or call (888)977-MAIL(6245)
NO COST – AUDIT PHASE CONTRACTED CLIENT
Top 10 Ways to Optimize Mailing & Shipping Spend
November 12, 2020 – 1PM EST
Register through www.postaladvocate.com
September 23, 2020 27