• Visual Learning Style Common to Business
Majors (Hallock, Satava, & LeSage, 2003)
• Allows for left and right brain engagement
• Social Orientation of GNs
• Short Attention Spans of Many Business
• Allow for storytelling and application
• Potentially less expensive
• Potentially less boring
• Potentially improved instructor evaluations
‘Y’ Use Graphic
Short, J.C., Randolph-Seng, B., & McKenny, A.F. (2013).
Graphic presentation: An empirical examination of the
graphic novel approach to communicate business.
Business Communication Quarterly, 76: 273-303.
• Study 1 explores the potential of graphic
novels to affect learning outcomes and finds
that the graphic novel was related to high
levels of learning experiences.
• Study 2 compares the impact of graphic
novels with that of traditional textbooks and
finds that verbatim recognition was superior
with graphic novel texts.
• Distance students
• Taught by GA
• Traditional textbook
• Large survey class
• Taught by GA
• Afternoon, evening,
Introduction to Management (MGT 2013)
Trans out: So what makes this appealing for broad, global consumption?
Build: Built in a couple of evenings and several Fat Tire beers smuggled from Dallas EXPAND: Always can add more content. FB/Twitter Integration. Dropbox-like file upload. EDIT: Can always edit content. Prof can. ENROLL: Few clicks as possible to sign up. CONSUME: Easy on the eyes. Sample content. Pretty quizzes, discussions, etc.