Moderator: Sipra MadamModerator: Sipra Madam
Presenter: Anil KumaR
Roll No: 91
It is a
strategy used in a
signs and 2
Purpose of Screening
• To detect early disease or risk factor
for disease in large number of
apparently healthy individuals.
• Active search for disease among apparently
healthy people is a fundamental aspect of
• This is done in screening , which has been
defined as “ search for unrecognised disease or
defect by means of rapidly applied tests ,
examinations or other procedures in apparently
CONCEPT OF SCREENING
• Screening differs from periodic health
examination in the following aspects :
Capable of wide application
Requires less physician - time
• Basic purpose of screening is to sort
out , large group of apparently healthy
persons those likely to have the
disease or at increased risk of disease
• They also bring ‘apparently abnormal’
individuals under medical supervision
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• To detect outbreak or disease or
production losses and causes.
• To identify the undiagnosed cases of
• To monitor health trends in a target
• To monitor exposed individuals for
• To monitor treated individuals for
• To generate hypothesis for further
• Early diagnosis and subsequent
treatment favourably alters the
natural history of the disease in a
significant proportion of those who
are identified as positive.
• Diagnosis of disease at
individual level .
• Positive results in screening
needs more confirmatory tests
/ diagnostic tests .
IT DOES NOT INTEND FOR.....