Sadda Rules• There are 25 questions in the prelims• Teams are requested not to use any unfair means to answer- Switch off your smartphones.• The Quizmaster may be wrong, but his decision is final.• Top 6 teams will qualify. In case of a tie, team with the funniest name will qualify, jk, there are star mark questions for that purpose.
1 ‘I, Saleem Sinai, later variously calledSnotnose, Stainface, Baldy, Sniffer, Buddha andeven Piece-of-the-Moon, had become heavily embroiled in Fate- …’Which book would you be reading if you were to come to across these lines?
3Who are the international goodwill ambassador of the “Stop War, Start Tennis” campaign?
4. It consists of three parts or acts- First part is called ‘the pledge’- it shows something ordinary. Second part is called ‘the turn’- itmakes the ‘something ordinary’ into‘extraordinary’. What is the missingthird part/What context is the three acts about?
10* The term ‘X’ originally denoted the fictional “Republic of Anchuria”, a servile dictatorship that abetted the exploitation of large-scale plantation agriculture. This pejorative term, denotes a politically unstable country dependent upon limited primary productions, which is ruled by plutocracy, asmall, self elected, wealthy group who exploit the country by means of politico-economic oligarchy. What is the term ?
12.• Alan Shephard ,the famous astronaut, was reprimanded by a professional association of earth, after one of his trips to the moon. Why?
13 Connect:• A man on a harvester• A woman at a computer• An offshore oil rig• A satellite• An automated steel production plant
14 In 1956, while a graduate student at MIT, ‘X’ purchased a high end stereo system and was disappointed when it failed to meet his expectations. He later began extensive research aimed at clarifying factors that he saw as fundamental weaknesses plaguing high-end audiosystems. The principal weaknesses, according to him was that the overall design of the electronics and speakerfailed to account for the spatial properties of the radiated sound in typical listening spaces.Eight years later, he started the company, charging it with a mission to achieve "Better Sound Through Research", now the company slogan. Identify the company and ‘X’.
15* Served as 58th speaker of the House of Representatives from 1995 to 1998, X wasnamed ‘Man of the Year’ By TIME magazine for his role in ending the four decades longdemocratic majority in the house. He is one of the candidates for the 2012 Republican Party Presidential Nomination & has won the South Carolina Republican primary on January 21st. Identify.
16.Which band got its name from one of its members experience as acashier at Starbucks, where he had to give a _______ _____ as changebecause customers would give $1.50 for a coffee that cost $1.45?
18.It is an excerpt from the Gran Vals, by the Spanish classical guitarist and composer Francisco Tarrega, written in1902, which today is heard worldwideabout 1.8 billion times per day. What am I talking about ?
19*An award named after this author is presented at the annual Hay Festival and the winner is presented with jeroboam of Champagne Bollinger Special Cuvée, and a Gloucester Old Spot pig is named after the winningnovel. This author is credited with the first usage of the famouswords, ”Elementary, my dear Watson”. Who?
20. In the 1984-85 season, India andPakistan were playing the 2nd ODI of the series at Sialkot. India were at 210/3 with Dilip Vengasarkar at anunbeaten 94. At this point the match was suddenly abandoned. Why ?
21. Which literary character is Jennifer Aniston dressed as here?
22. When Ivo goes back with the urn, the urn;Studds, Steel, Read and Tylecote return, return; The welkin will ring loud,The great crowd will feel proud, Seeing Barlow and Bates with the urn, the urn; And the rest coming home with the urn
23. In front of which F1 team HQ will you find this
24.* FIB ______________________Admiral William H. McRaven/SEAL Team 6 Ai Wei Wei Republican Paul Ryan Duchess Kate Middleton Steve Jobs
25. Identify the man in this advertisement by Nando