WELCOMEBar One, and Nexus 2012 present- Delhi Quiz
Sadda Rules• There are 20 questions in the prelims• Teams are requested not to use any unfair means to answer- Switch off your smartphones.• The Quizmaster may be wrong, but his decision is final.• Top 6 teams will qualify. In case of a tie, team with the funniest name will qualify, jk, there are star mark questions for that purpose.
1*. This area in Delhi was designed in the shape of horseshoe for the architect believed it would bring good luck to the traders. It was named after the Duke of_________, the uncle of George V. Which area are we talking about?
2. This company was started in New Delhi in 1983, in technical collaboration withMaruzen Corporation of Japan, and initially manufactured floppy disks. Since then it has expanded into manufacturing other items, and has become one of the largestcompanies globally in its field today. Which company am I talking about?
4. Fashioned after the Arc de Triomphe,with the adjoining features inspired after the Champs-Élysées street. It originally housed a statue of George V, and in recent times, there have been debatesregarding installing a statue of Mahatma Gandhi. Which place are we talking about?
5*. FIB and give funda• ______________• Nursultan Nazarbayev• Lee Myung Bak• Bambang Yudhoyono• Yingluk Shinawatra
• 6. Established in the early 1960s under the name EPDP Colony or East Pakistan Displaced Persons colony, hence explaining the origin of its current culture. It was renamed after an eminent lawyer and a highly respected figure in Indian National movement. His funeral procession was conducted by MahatmaGandhi himself. Name of the person/place will fetch marks.
9• He justified his campaign on India with claims that the Sultanate at Delhi was too lenient on the Hindu subjects. Legend goes that he executed more than 100,000 captives in his campaign. Who?
10. FIB?Circular gold gilt, 1-3/8 inches in diameter. In the centre, the chakra (wheel), surrounded by a lotus wreath and with an ornate edge. Suspended by a straight bar suspender. The medal is named on the edge. Blank in the center, with “________" in Hindi along theupper edge on the medal and the same name in English along the lower rim. On either side is a lotus design.
11• Established initially by Kundan Lal Gujral in Daryaganj, it now has over 90 franchisees in India. According to urban legends, it is the first Indian restaurant to introduce tandoori cuisine to the world. It shares its name partially from Auranzebs personal mosque in the Red Fort complex. Name the franchisee.
13. Shah Jahan laid the foundation of X on a hillock in 1650 AD. It took over 6 years and 6000 workers, and approximately 10 lakhs Rupees. It has three great gates, four tower, with the western chambers standing on 260 pillars carved using Hindu and Jaintradition. On two occasions in recent years, it has had its share of acts of terrorism. Which place are we talking about?
15.Earlier known as Faiz Bazaar, it was rechristenedto its current name after Partition of India. This area was the original cantonment of Delhi,which was later shifted to Ridge area. This areais also Pervez Musharrafs birthplace, where he used to live till Partition. It also houses Hans, a prominent Hindi literary magazine founded byPremchand. This area bustles with Delhites on a particular day.
16 According to the legend of Ala-ud-din’s war exploits, the name ___ given to this structure was because its foundation was built on the severed heads of about 8,000 Mongol soldiers killed in thewar. Another version of the legend refers to the war crimes committed by Allauddin when the Mongolarmy was defeated and the captured soldiers werebrought to ______ and trampled by elephants, then their severed heads were hung on the walls of _________.
17This rocks are older than the Stone Age or even the Ice Age. In the late 1970s, a group of history students had found tools dating back to the Stone Age. There have also been claims of pre-historic rocks and pictorial engravings that were found by other scholars. Identify one of the oldest spot of delhi now famous for reasons of boozing, youth activities and political indoctrination.