Definition and Meaning
• The term Span of control means the number
of subordinates or the units of work that an
administrator can personally direct.
• Dimock: “The Span of Control is the number
and range of direct, habitual communication
contacts between the chief executive of an
enterprise and his principal fellow-officers”.
• It is also known as span of supervision ,
span of management, span of
responsibility, span of authoroty or span of
Factors Affecting Span of Control
iv) Personality of supervisor and of the
v) delegation of authority, and
vi) techniques of supervision
Types of Relationships and Span of
• V.A. Graicunas- in his book -
“Relationships in Organization” analyzed
the subordinate –superior relationship in
terms of following:
• 1. Direct Single Relationship-
• 2.Direct Group Relationship
• 3.Cross Relationships
• The Formula is to ascertain Number of
• If n =5
• No.of Relationship=
• Increasing use of Automation in
• Innovative technology- makes
communication easy and swift.
Span of Control under Revision
• Growing number of Specialists.They do
not tolerate interference in their respective
fields by the generalists.
• They are near the top as advisers.
• Dislikes vertical relationships
• Coordination replaces supervision and