E3c2 Becoming a
DEAL WITH A WIDE RANGE OF CRIMINALITY ISSUES, BUT MOSTLY
DEAL WITH PRISONS AND PRISONERS.
Who might they work for?
Mainly for Her Majesty's (HM) Prison service.
NHS to work in secure hospitals.
Social services in a young offenders units or the probation service.
Self employed as consultants.
Work at University doing research.
◦ Listen carefully and speak comfortably to people.
◦ Write well to produce concise reports.
Observe and gather information
◦ Need to notice body language as well as what people say.
◦ When putting a programme together for an individual or an institution.
Degree in Psychology recognised by the BPS.
◦ When a degree matches the requirements, this is called having Graduate Basis for Registration (GBR)
◦ Preferred before applying for a Masters in Forensic Psychology.
◦ Stage 1 Diploma of Forensic Psychology
◦ Stage 2 Consists of 2 years of supervised practice
The 3 Psychologist covered have similar
roles. So make sure you know these.
Carry out assessments, interventions and evaluations of their interventions.
Use treatment to manage behaviour.
Mainly work for the Government such as NHS, Prison Service or Local Education Authority.
Need to have a degree in Psychology as well as a specialist degree,
Tend to be chartered
All have similar skills such as listening, writing and problem solving.
Carry out research and extend psychological understanding in their field.
All work with clear ethical guidelines in particular focussing on competency, confidentiality and
◦ Work with children and focus on their development and learning
◦ Work with mentally ill and focus on getting them better and managing their illness
◦ Work with criminals, as well as people working with criminals such as the police.
Means you have satisfied the requirements of the BPS and have sufficient qualifications and
experience to be called a psychologist.
This directory is maintained by the BPS.
It is useful to be on the list as it gives credibility as is gives credibility.
◦ Especially if you are self employed.
Complete quick check A
Complete questions 1 to 3.