Status and outlook of solar energy use in pakistan

1,289 views

Published on

This presentation is about the Current Situation of Solar Potential and on going and working solar projects.

Published in: Education, Technology, Business
0 Comments
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,289
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Status and outlook of solar energy use in pakistan

  1. 1. Renewable Energy Resources Status and outlook of solar energy use in Pakistan
  2. 2. Introduction • Energy consumption is an index of prosperity • Primary energy supplies are not enough to meet the present demand • Pakistan will be facing the acute challenge of energy deficit in the near future • Environmental friendly renewable energy sources need to be developed and popularized
  3. 3. Present Situation • According to American survey held in 2006, huge amount of Pakistan`s energy requirements are met by using crude oil • one third of this crude oil is being imported from other countries • Total annual import bill for the year 2004-05 accounted for 25% of the total imports
  4. 4. Present Situation contd… • In 2000, Pakistan produced about 56,000 barrels of crude oil per day meeting nearly 15% of the domestic oil demand • The remaining 85% was imported from the Middle East • The known recoverable reserves of crude oil will finish in about 11.4 years. • A gap of 5000MW can be considered to be a state of crises which means serious attentions are required to overcome these energy crises.
  5. 5. Why Solar Energy • At present, coal, oil and gas are the main sources of energy and all these sources are limited, being non-renewable, will run out eventually • The energy demand will further increase because of the industrial development and the rapid increase in population • Among all these renewable energy sources, solar energy is by far the most abundant, widely spread and clean source.
  6. 6. Solar Energy Potential in Pakistan • Pakistan, being in the sun-belt, is ideally located to take advantage of solar energy. • The mean global irradiation falling on horizontal surface in Pakistan is about 200–250 watt per m2/day with about 1500– 3000 sunshine hours/year. • Baluchistan has an average daily global insolation of 19–20 MJ/m2-day (1.93–2.03 MWh per m2/year) with annual mean sunshine duration of 8–8.5 h.
  7. 7. Solar Energy Potential in Pakistan
  8. 8. Solar Energy Generation in Baluchistan • In the early 1980s, 18 PV stations (capacity 440 kW)were set up by the government in different parts of the country for village electrification.
  9. 9. Gawadar Project • Empower Consultants of New Zealand, a Wellington-based renewable energy specialist, is working to bring affordable electricity to poor villagers in the harsh deserts. • The ‘prime mover’ for the project is centered on a 6 kW solar PV array, with a 10 kW inverter, large capacity (90 kWh) battery bank, 100 Amp 120 VDC solar charge controller.
  10. 10. Other Small Solar Projects • The Public Health Department has installed about 20 solar water pumps for drinking purposes in different parts of Baluchistan. • On the Lahore-Islamabad Motorway, the company has supplied and installed power supply systems for a number of microwave-link repeater stations in the Salt Range area and more than 350 emergency call boxes • PEC Islamabad will be converted to Green Building using an on-grid solar unit of 179 kW
  11. 11. Prime Minister’s Initiative for Solar Power PMISP • Solar Power panels on Mazar-e-Quaid
  12. 12. Prime Minister’s Initiative for Solar Power PMISP • Masjid Bait ul Mukarram, Karachi
  13. 13. Prime Minister’s Initiative for Solar Power PMISP • 179 KW On-Grid Solar Unit at PEC Building funded by JICA under Clean Energy by Solar Electricity
  14. 14. Conclusions • Pakistan has undoubtedly large potential for harnessing solar energy • Due to higher costs involved, the solar photovoltaic option is only suitable for the areas far off from the grid • by increasing the use of solar energy technology, the oil import bill would decrease, which is actually a huge burden on Pakistan’s economy

×