Meetup #3: Migrating an Oracle Application from on-premise to AWS
Bùi Kiên Cường
Solution Architect @ FSoft
A Case study of migrating an Oracle
Application from on-premise to AWS
August 25 2016
1. Business Requirements
2. Existing Architecture
3. First Solution
4. Our Solution
5. Cost Saving
• This is the core database and application for our
customer business data. It is critical to both
operational people and business analytical
researchers. The system is the source for
operational reports and analytical reports.
• Network bandwidth: 5 Gbps
• Global company: VPN Site to Site
DR & HA
• RTO: 24 hours. Aim for 2 hours.
• RPO: 4 hours. Aim for 15 mins for future system.
• HA: 99.5% ~ 5 nights down time per year.
• Backup Retention:
– 3 days for 4 hours snapshots.
– 60 days for daily backups.
• RTO of 2 hours, RPO of 15 mins.
• No disk array on AWS Have to deal with bit
rot, disk failures.
• Data growth 20% per year.
• Choose Oracle RDS or Oracle on EC2?
• Choose instance type that optimized for EBS.