Exploring opportunities with communities for a successful career
1. Shwetha Lakshman Rao
Sr. MTS, VMware Software India
City Director – WomenWhoCode
Xplore OPPORTUNITIES with
Communities for a successful career
3. Women Who CodeRewards and recognitions:
● Media coverage : The Hindu, Times of India, Economic
times, Yourstory, JobsForHer, CXOToday, Mintlive
● Google Sponsored to Google IO 2018
● Hackathon Winners
● #ApplaudHer 2019 from WomenWhoCode
4. Where to START?
● Start small
● Practice to be GOOD LISTENER
● Attend conferences/webinars
● Submit papers in conferences
● Present Webinars
● Present in conferences
6. 20 Countries, 60 Cities + Expanding
Our Community is a network of
180,000 technical women
find a network: womenwhocode.com/networks
7. Women Who Code
We envision a world where women are proportionally
represented as technical leaders, executives, founders,
VCs, board members, and software engineers.
What we do?
● Monthly meetups: tech talk/workshops
● CODE REVIEW : career/speaker opportunities
● Speed mentoring (for women)
● Grow 360 degree
● Free / Discount Tickets for conferences
10. Women Who Code
Technology stack : Artificial Intelligence and Machine
learning | IOT | Containers | Cloud | Blockchain | Python
● Hackathon participants and Judges
● Tech Speaker opportunities in national/international
● Motivational talk and leadership panelist
● Writing opportunities from publications
● Academia connect
Women Tech Makers
Access to curated content to your mailbox depending on
your skillset and career level including travel grants,
podcasts, global happenings etc.
A group of like-minded people to learn, network and share.
Leadership and speaking opportunities in events through
the 30+ chapters we have in India.
Lean In Women in Tech India
Platform to connect women across all the dimension of life
Leadership : Women leaders sharing their voices
Speaker and hackathon opportunities
Google Developers Group (GDG)
Bangalore Chamber of International Commerce
Bangalore Kubernetes Meetup
Find your mentor @ Out of Office hours
17. HOW WE DO IT: PROGRAM AVENUES
● In-Person Events: Technical trainings, lightning talks,
hackathons, career and leadership development, industry-
led study groups and more. All trainings and events are
free to WWCode members.
● The CODE Review: Bi-weekly newsletter that connects our
global community, raises the overall profile of women in
tech through #applaudher, and provides an avenue for
conference giveaways and scholarships.
● Leadership: Our networks are led by a team of volunteers
who build their own leadership skills while encouraging
others to succeed. Directors frequently enjoy profile raising
opportunities such as connecting with senior level
executives, press mentions, and speaking opportunities.
● What can I do something
technically beyond regular
● How can I upskill
● Where do I get started?
● How do I find experts in
● How to find a mentor?
What can I do something technically beyond regular deliverables?
How can I upskill technically?
Where do I get started?
How do I find experts in different domain?
How to find a mentor?
We started in 2011 as a small community group in San Francisco. Quickly, women around the world wanted to be part of the community. Today, we’re a global footprint of 180,000 strong and growing.
- Taara, a VMinclusion initiative, will give an opportunity to 15,000 women in India, who have taken a break in their careers to return to work. Its one of the Biggest Return To work programs in the country.
This Program aims at upskilling women with free training and certification on advanced digital transformation solutions by VMware.
Women Who Code and VMware have partnered to open this program across India.
The program went live on January 1, 2019 (we went beta live on 1st Dec, 2018) and equip women with:
- Foundation level training courses on digital business transformation (VMware Certified Associate)
- Professional level training courses on virtualisation software for hybrid cloud and multi-cloud platforms and infrastructure (vSphere ICM)
- Advanced tracks on network virtualisation, data centre virtualisation, cloud management and automation, and digital workspace technologies, where they would become VMware Certified Professionals.
It’s the only one of its kind “ Return To Work Program in India” because:
Its self-less – We aren’t training these women candidates so they can work for VMware but gives them wings to rejoin any organization in the industry
It tackles a niche problem area – that is empowering them so they have a head start into the second innings of their career
We have had an overwhelming response with over 3000 women having registered for the program since we started in December, 2018.
Please help spread the word. If you know someone who fits the bill, please let them know about this program. Share on your social media accounts such as FB, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn so that it can reach out to the intended audience.
For more information visit our website – www.vmware.com/taara
The candidates can also contact the Taara team by sending an email to – Taara_VMinclusion@vmware.com
3 program avenues.
In-person events -- you’ll get to know these well! They take place in professional settings, are hosted by a tech company or one that hires a lot of engineers, and the program is led by volunteers who work in the industry.
CODE Review -- have you signed up yet? Be sure to let us know of any big conferences in your area, or that you think members would be willing to travel to. Feel free to reach out to conference tickets to ask for free or discounted tickets or we can also do it. We’re happy to represent all networks in our events list, but need your help identifying the most important / interesting conferences! Also, be sure to submit #applaudhers. Why are they important? Women are a little bit more shy about celebrating their successes. + the world only knows a few tech famous women. #ApplaudHers help us celebrate success while changing the story!
Leadership. You are stepping into our leadership program now. It’s highly experiential. We empower volunteers to take on big roles -- to challenge themselves to lead the network in their city, share their knowledge, and lead others. You are going to be awesome!