APIdays Helsinki 2019 - Boosting Traditional Business by IoT and Analytics with Vesa Pirinen, YIT Finland Ltd
Boosting traditional business by IoT and Analytics
VESA PIRINEN, VICE PRESIDENT STRATEGY & DEVELOPMENT
2018 in figures
3.8EUR billion in 2018
ADJUSTED OPERATING PROFIT*
134.5EUR million in 2018
10,000in 11 countries
NET PROMOTER SCORE
* Pro forma
BUSINESS CENTER B66, KAUNAS, LITHUANIA
We are the largest Finnish
and significant North European
Revenue: 333 EUR million
Revenue: 164 EUR million
Revenue: 2,578 EUR million
Revenue: 314 EUR million
Revenue: 300 EUR million
The Challenge: how to double EBIT in Mineral Aggregates business?
Feeder settings Cone/ jaw crusher
location Stone feeding
• Machinery from same manufacturers
• Similar quarries
• Pricing is based on market conditions
Target is to maximize crushed stone/ gravel output.
The solution after 6 months – 4 crushing plants using IoT
• Crushers are connected to
• 1 minute delay
• We get alarms, pressure,
power and temperature data.
The live IoT dashboard tells you:
• Maintenance needs (fastest payback)
• Crusher settings optimization.
• Machinery optimization success/ quarry.
• Plant teams training and guiding needs.
• Expand solutions to cover whole fleet.
• More data from feeders & scales.
• Phase 2 in analytics – go deeper in
• Combine with external data like
• Machine learning solutions.
Being world’s best in this business at
IOT can be expanded to asphalt plants,
rollers and pavers.