Presented by Sanoujam Srikant
Submitted to Prof. Vandita Hajra
Amity Institute of Travel & Tourism
Amity University Kolkata
Kerala, a state on India's tropical Malabar
Coast, has nearly 600km of Arabian Sea
shoreline. It's known for its palm-lined
beaches and its backwaters, a network of
canals popular for cruises. Its many
upscale seaside resorts include
specialists in Ayurveda treatments. Inland
are the Western Ghats, a mountain range
whose slopes support tea, coffee and
spice plantations as well as abundant
• One of the favourite destinations for tourist both national and international.
• UK, FRANCE, GERMANY, US are the some countries which visited mostly.
• Kerala become “50 must see places in lifetime to visit” by National Geographic
• Awarded “SUPER BRAND AWARD” for 101 strongest brand in India by Super
Brands India in the year 2007.
• Major attraction – beaches, backwater, boat race, hill stations, wildlife, Ayurveda
• Bagged several awards both national and international levels.
• Tourism has contributed almost 8% of the total employment directly and
• Most important turning point of Kerala tourism was private-public partnership
to promote tourism.
• 'Most Outstanding Marketing Campaign Award’ for 2014 instituted by the
Travel and Hospitality magazine.
Kerala tourism, Ayurveda, beaches is the major
attraction of Kerala.
The state has a coastline of 580 km.
The other aspect of Kerala is the eco-tourism
initiative by Kerala state in the year 2007.
The state is trying to brand the Medical Tourism
because of efficient medical care in Kerala- Maldives,
Neighbouring state like Lakshadweep.
Major initiative is the branding of Traditional Art
Forms of Kerala.
Kathakali, Theyyam, etc.
Major offering in monsoon is the MONSOON TOURISM.
Kerala Turns Romantic during Monsoon, Discounts on High Prices during
Monsoon, Monsoon Welcomes Festival Season in Kerala, Enjoy Stay in a Tree
House during Rain, etc.
Major beaches Kovalam, Varkala, Fort Kochi, Kappad
Major wildlife sanctuaries Parambikulam, Wayanad, Silent
valley, Neyyar, etc.
Bird sanctuaries Thattekd, Kumarakom.
Hill stations Munnar, Wayanad, Ponmudi,
Peerumade and Thekkady.
Art forms Kadhakali, Koodiyattom,
• State is well known for smooth law and order.
• One of the 10 paradise and 50 places to be visited in lifetime by NG traveller.
• High life expectancy.
• Excellent quality of life
• Eco-tourism initiatives.
• Innovative branding and positioning.
• Variety of product and services.
• Inadequate infrastructure to match expectation.
• Restrictive coastal regulation zone.
• Lack of efficient waste management system.
• Shortage of funds for tourism expansion.
• Exploitation of tourists (overcharging for services).
• Lots of unused prospective on heritage tourism, medical tourism and
• Good brand image of “GODS OWN COUNTRY”.
• Accessibility of quality human resource.
• Employability in tourism and related area.
• Growth of tourism may lead to pollution problem, ecological hazards etc.
• Over emphasis may lead to recession in the period of down turn.
• Growth Goa tourism with diverse offering like yoga tourism.
• Problems with nature calamities like Tsunami.
CURRENT COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES
Kerala tourism is currently concentrating more on indirect
medium like TV, newspaper, internet.
Currently promotion is carrying out through 2 schemes:-
domestics promotion and publicity and foreign promotions
With 11 planning commission are also allow to host 2 local
event/festivals and major national events.
The current marketing strategies of Kerala tourism
1. Event base campaigns: promote the brand “Kerala Tourism and tagline
“gods own country”.
Kerala travel mart.
Indian international boat shows.
Mystics of Malabar( is a region between Western Ghats and Arabian
Dance and music festival (onam, Christmas, etc.)
Theme state in Dubai shopping Festival in year 2004.
Participation in national and international tourism mart.
World travel mart London.
International road shows.
2. Mass media campaign: currently focussing more towards mass media
campaigns to build the brand.
Advertising film for Kerala tourism.
Internet promotion( YouTube, mobile WAP, etc.)
MOU with flying player.
Promotion of digital videos and DVD.
Partnering with private players (like club Mahindra holidays).
The main promotion of Jet2Kerala was done through twitter. 15% of the
sale through twitter campaign itself.
1. Use of the word of mouth marketing effectively ( like sending newsletter,
email, photos, description of latest photo of major events/festival).
2. Installation of Bluetooth kiosks and hotspot in major malls, airport, bus
stations, railway stations, etc.
3. Design “Kerala Theme” base contents.
4. Marketing brochures in flight.
5. Mobile application for tourists.
6. Inline international and national movie promotions.
• TAMIL NADU
• NEW DELHI
• WEST BENGAL