Basic Training Centre lalgarh Bikaner PPT by AMIT RAJ
ASTT. PROF. ANITA KURADIYA
(COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING &
About The “Lalgarh Railway Workshop”
• Foundation : Maharaja Ganga Singh Ji Bahadur on 18th
• Location: Outskirt of Bikaner town known as Lalgarh
• Plant started: 1st March,1927
• Total area: 141226 meter sq.
• Machinery in plant:232
• Track inside plant:2.6 km
Periodic-overhauling(POH): It is a process of 8 days during
which checking & repairing/replacement of train’s parts take
Time Period Of POH:
Mail/Express train: POH after 12 months
Passenger Train : POH after 18 months
Procedures of POH
DAY 1st : Disassembly of electrical components
DAY 2nd : Lift/Lowering
DAY 3rd : Body repair
DAY 4th : Carpenter work
DAY 5th : Painting
DAY 6th : Electrical component fitting
DAY 7th : Adjustment of all parts
DAY 8th : Vacuum testing
Parts of coaches which get repaired in
• Dash port Spring: It act as shock absorber.
• Bdl’ster: Mounted between lower and upper shock absorber &
also called secondary shock absorber.
• Brake block: Hold the brake frame & coach beam together.
• Equalizing stray: This also hold coach beam & brake frame
• Brake shoe key : Stop the brake shoe from running out.
• Bearing pieces: Component on which coaches turn.
• Pivot seat: Control running of train.
• Anchor link: Control movement of coaches.
In this shop wooden fitting of pipes on walls, floors etc are
Machines available/used in the carpentry
shop of this plant:
• Circular saw machine -2
• Body band saw machine -1
• Vertical band saw machine-2
• Planer machine-1
• Purpose: To repair corroded parts mainly head stock,
coaching stock, sole bar and cross bar.
C-schedule in corrosion shop
DAY 1st : Cleaning with soap sol. & touch up damage
part with primer.
DAY 2nd : Spot putty.
DAY 3rd : Flat with silicon carbide & finish coat with
DAY 4th : Apply second coat of enamel.
DAY 5th : Lettering with golden yellow color &
• Painting & External maintenance is done in this shop.
• These are done in two schedule:
• A-schedule(9 days): for maintenance
• C-schedule(5 days): for final painting
Painting done in this shop:
• Side painting : Smoke grey paint
• Under frame : Bituminous Paint
• Internal painting : White enamel paint
• End panel : Black enamel paint
• Trolley : Bituminous paint
• Roof : Aluminium paint
• Final stages of basic rebuilding as assembly of seats,
painting & stiching are completed.
• Seats are repaired and reassembled.
Works done in wagon shop:
• Super structure attached to the under frame of a wagon is
called ‘WAGON BODY’.
• In this shop,the body,underframe of a Wagon are repaired.
• Proper numbers of doors, pillers etc. are attached.
• Wagon Air Brake Testing are done in this shop.
• New wheel undergo various operations for testing so
wheel shop has various section
• Axle passing section : Axle and tyre received from
companies and reassembled.
• Tyre section : Diameter of tyre reduced
MILL WRIGHT SHOP
• Millwright shop has three sections:
• Machine maintenance section
• Transport section
• Compressor section
• Maintenance section: All the machine parts are repaired.
• Transportation Section: Transportation of goods are taken by
some machine to reduce place and component transported
from one place to another.
• Compressor section: The screw type air compressor is a
positive displacement machine of reciprocative type.
BOGIE IOH SHOP
In this shop all the component of a bogie is fitted or
welded and finally railway coaches is formed.