Ocean EnergyOcean Energy
ZAKIR HUSAIN COLLEGE OF ENGG. & TECH.
• The ocean has a tremendous amount energy in the formThe ocean has a tremendous amount energy in the form
RENEWABLE ENERGY around the world.RENEWABLE ENERGY around the world.
• Ocean energy or ocean power (or marine , hydrokineticOcean energy or ocean power (or marine , hydrokinetic
refers to energy carried by ocean waves , tides , salinity andrefers to energy carried by ocean waves , tides , salinity and
ocean temperature difference.ocean temperature difference.
• The ocean have both Wave power i.e. power from surfaceThe ocean have both Wave power i.e. power from surface
waves & Tidal energy i.e. kinetic energy of large movingwaves & Tidal energy i.e. kinetic energy of large moving
water body.water body.
GLOBAL POTENTIALGLOBAL POTENTIAL
• Potential to develop 20,000 – 80,000 terawatt-hoursPotential to develop 20,000 – 80,000 terawatt-hours
( TWh ) of electricity generated by changes in ocean( TWh ) of electricity generated by changes in ocean
temperatures , salt content , movements of tides ,temperatures , salt content , movements of tides ,
currents , waves & swells.currents , waves & swells.
• Indonesia is a country with three quarter of the area is
ocean, has 49 GW recognized potential ocean energy
and has 727 GW theoretical potential ocean energy.
Global PotentialGlobal Potential
Tidal energy >300 TWh
Ocean current power >800 TWh
Osmotic power (Salinity gradient) 2,000 TWh
Ocean thermal energy (Thermal gradient) 10,000 TWh
Wave energy 8,000–80,000 TWh
Source: IEA-OES, Annual Report 2007
Different Form of Ocean EnergyDifferent Form of Ocean Energy
1.1. Ocean Current power ,Ocean Current power ,
2.2. Osmotic Power ,Osmotic Power ,
3.3. Tidal energy ,Tidal energy ,
4.4. Ocean Thermal energy ,Ocean Thermal energy ,
5.5. Wave EnergyWave Energy
Ocean Current PowerOcean Current Power
• Marine current power is the kinetic energy of ocean
• Strong ocean currents are generated from a combination
of temperature, wind, salinity, and the rotation of the
• It is understudy to develop a ocean current power plant.
Japan is building underwater kites to harness the current
OCEAN CURRENT ENERGYOCEAN CURRENT ENERGY
Osmotic PowerOsmotic Power
• Osmotic power, salinity gradient power is the
energy available from the difference in the salt
concentration between seawater and river water.
• There are two methods for using this energy
1.1.Reverse Electro-dialysis ,Reverse Electro-dialysis ,
2.2.Pressure retarded Osmosis.Pressure retarded Osmosis.
PressurePressure Retarded OsmosisRetarded Osmosis
In this method, seawater is pumped into a pressure chamber that is at a pressure
lower than the difference between the pressures of saline water and fresh water.
Freshwater is also pumped into the pressure chamber through a membrane, which
increase both the volume and pressure of the chamber. As the pressure differences
are compensated, a turbine is spun, providing kinetic energy.
Statkraft has built the world's first prototype PRO power plant on the Oslo fjord on
November 24, 2009.
Tidal EnergyTidal Energy
• Tidal energy is the kinetic energy of large moving
water body. It generate maily due to gravitational force of
• More predictable than wind energy and solar power.
• Tidal energy can be utilised by these methods
I. Tidal stream generators,
IV.Dynamic Tidal power 1010
Tidal Stream GeneratorTidal Stream Generator
Use kinetic energy of water to drive turbineUse kinetic energy of water to drive turbine
The world's first commercial-scale and grid-connected tidal stream generator – SeaGen
– in Strangford Lough.The strong wake shows the power in the tidal current.
Tidal EnergyTidal Energy
Tidal BarrageTidal Barrage
Tidal barrage use potential energy difference betweenTidal barrage use potential energy difference between
High TideHigh Tide && Low tide.Low tide.
Ocean Thermal EnergyOcean Thermal Energy
• Ocean are the largest solar energy collector.Ocean are the largest solar energy collector.
• The OTEC process uses temperature differenceThe OTEC process uses temperature difference
between deep cold water and hot surface water tobetween deep cold water and hot surface water to
generate electricity.generate electricity.
• There are two types of OTEC plantThere are two types of OTEC plant
1.1.Open cycleOpen cycle
2.2.Closed cycleClosed cycle 1313
Closed-loop OTECClosed-loop OTEC
• Closed cycle system use fluid with a low boiling point, suchClosed cycle system use fluid with a low boiling point, such
as ammonia to power a turbine to generate electricity.as ammonia to power a turbine to generate electricity.
Open-loop OTEC cycleOpen-loop OTEC cycle
• The Claude Plant used an open cycle in which seawater itself playsThe Claude Plant used an open cycle in which seawater itself plays
the multiple role of heat source, working fluid, coolant, & heat sink.the multiple role of heat source, working fluid, coolant, & heat sink.
WAVE POWERWAVE POWER
• Solar energy from the sun creates temperature
differentials that result in wind. The interaction between
wind and the surface of water creates waves .
Pelamis Wave Energy Converter on site at the European Marine Energy
Centre (EMEC), in 2008
SURFACE ATTENUTORSURFACE ATTENUTOR
• These devices with multiple floating segments connected
to one another and are oriented perpendicular to
incoming waves. A flexing motion is created by swells
that drive hydraulic pumps to generate electricity.
• Does not produce green houses gases and wasteDoes not produce green houses gases and waste
• Does not require any fuel,Does not require any fuel,
• Once the technology is built , it does not require extraOnce the technology is built , it does not require extra
• It does not have a big environmental impact.It does not have a big environmental impact.
• Electricity generation cost is more,Electricity generation cost is more,
• No energy company will put money because theseNo energy company will put money because these
technologies have been tested for small scale.technologies have been tested for small scale.
• Localised marine eco system will be affected.Localised marine eco system will be affected.
• Frozen ocean areas limit locations for machinery.Frozen ocean areas limit locations for machinery.