Centre for East European Language Based Area Studies (Centres for Doctoral Training)
AHRC Centre for Doctoral Training for
Russian, Slavonic and East European languages and culture
1. 2006-2011: Centre for East European Language-Based Area
Studies (CEELBAS), co-funded by AHRC, ESRC and HEFCE
(Thematic research, research networks, PD fellowships, PG
studentships, language training, knowledge exchange).
2. 2012-2016: CEELBAS second phase funded by AHRC and the
British Academy (internships, overseas research training,
international research visits, research networks, language projects).
3. 2014: AHRC DTC
Collaborative research hub to train scholars whose in-depth cultural
and linguistic expertise will meet a major strategic need for
advanced, nuanced knowledge of this complex region.
• 35 research supervisors in the field of Slavonic and East European
languages and culture, plus many more specialists in history,
politics, society and economics of the region.
• Bulgarian, Czech, Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian,
Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Slovak, Ukrainian.
• Doctorate as professional training; the end product is not only the
research itself, but also the researcher.