NGT is an act to provide for the establishment of a
NATIONAL GREEN TRIBUNAL for the effective and
expeditious disposal of cases relating to environment
protection and conservation of forests and other natural
1) including enforcement of any legal right relating to
environment 2) giving relief and compensation for
damages to persons and property and for matters
• It was enacted under India's constitutional provision
of Article 21,which assures the citizens of India the right to
a healthy environment.
•On 18 October 2010, Justice Lokeshwar Singh3 ABHINANDINI DAS
• The tribunal is mandated to make and endeavor for
disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months
of filing .
• New Delhi is the principal place of sitting of the tribunal .
• This court is special because India is the third country
following Australia and New Zealand to have such a
4 ABHINANDINI DAS
MR. PRAKASH JAVEDKAR MR. RANJAN KUMAR
5 ABHINANDINI DAS
• During the Rio de Janeiro summit of United Nations
Conference on Environment and Development in June
1992, India vowed the participating states to provide
judicial and administrative remedies for the victims of the
pollutants and other environmental damage.
• It is a specialized body equipped with necessary
expertise to handle environment disputes involving multi-
• The tribunal provides –
a) Relief and compensation to the victims of pollution and
other environment damage.
b) For restitution of property damaged .
6 ABHINANDINI DAS
• The sanctioned strength of the tribunal is currently 10
expert members and 10 judicial members
• Every bench of tribunal must consist of at least one
expert member and one judicial member.
• The Chairman of the tribunal is required to be a serving
or retired Chief Justice of a High Court or a judge of
the Supreme Court of India.
• Members are chosen by a selection committee (headed
by a sitting judge of the Supreme Court of India) that
reviews their applications and conducts interviews.
7 ABHINANDINI DAS
• Other members should be an environmentalist ,
biologist , hydrologist , scientist or a technocrat ( anyone
from field of environment ).
• The Chairperson , Judicial Members and Expert
Members of the Tribunal shall be appointed by Central
• Tribunal is competent to hear cases for several acts
such as Forest (Conservation )Act, Biological Diversity
Act , Environment (Protection)Act , Water & Air
(Prevention & Protection )Act etc.
•Jurisdiction has to take decision within 30 Days of the
8 ABHINANDINI DAS
9 ABHINANDINI DAS
• Organised by NGT in association with Ministry of
Environment , Forest and Climate change , Government
of India .
•The conference provide a platform to all stake holders
and beneficiaries of global society to discuss and analyse
specific questions relating to environment and its
• 6 technical sessions held which deal with diverse
aspects of environment including GLOBAL WARMING ,
DISASTER MANAGEMENT , WORLD OCEANS- OIL
SPILLING EFFECTING MARINE LIFE , FORST ,
WILDLIFE DEVELOPMENT , MUNICIPAL SOLID
10 ABHINANDINI DAS
• For each and every issue , discussions include the
effects , preventive measures and impacts .
11 ABHINANDINI DAS
On April 2014, The NGT recommended the Government
to declare a 52km stretch of Yamuna in Delhi &Uttar
Pradesh as a conservation zone.
14 ABHINANDINI DAS
BAN ON OLD DIESEL VEHICLE
An attempt to minimize air pollution in Delhi &NCR PM
2.5 particles have reached alarming level. As per this
order 10 years old vehicle aren’t allowed to ply.
15 ABHINANDINI DAS