Heart Disease-68% of Diabetics death certificates Stroke HTN Blindness-leading cause Kidney Disease- 44% of new cases in 2008 Neuropathy- 60-70% diabetics Amputation- > 60% non traumatic amputation 2011 National diabetes fact sheet Jan 26, 2011 www.diabetes.org Contra indication for kidney and liver transplants. Poor wound healing. More post-op complications
Power point-aapi- coac for school students
Childhood Obesity Awareness Campaign
for School Students
Why this initiative to
Fight Childhood Obesity ?
Obesity is common, serious, and costly.
Today, in USA nearly one in five children
are obese and one in three are overweight.
Battle Against The Bulge !
Not about body image
Father of Medicine on Health
If we could give every individual the
right amount of nourishment and
exercise, not too little and not too
much, we would have found the
safest way to health.
Role of Parents
• Parents should set an example to their children by living
and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
• Eat plenty of whole-grains, fruits and vegetables.
• Cut down on foods high in fat and sugar like chips and
• Drink water instead of sugar drinks like soda and pop.
• Do not force feed the children.
• Get at least 60 minutes of exercise/activity each day.
• Walking is one of the easiest exercises to do.
• Play active games with your children and have fun.
• Limit recreational screen time for kids to no more than 1-2
hours of quality programs per day.
Role of Schools
• Schools should offer healthy meals / snacks at a reduced
• They should offer salad bars to help students eat more
fruits and vegetables.
• Vending machines should sell healthy foods and try to
avoid chips, candy, soda & sugary drinks.
• Schools should offer daily physical education classes and
teach students to play active games.
Remember the information loaded, easy to remember 5-2-1-0
The 5-2-1-0 concept was developed by 3 organizations to fight the growing problem of obesity
1. American Medical Association
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
3. Maternal and Child Health Bureau
The Choose My Plate is easier to
remember than the more
complicated Food Pyramid.
About 80% of food on shelves of supermarkets
today didn’t exist 100 years ago – Larry McCleary
Rainbow colored fruits & vegetables are loaded with
nutrients, vitamins, minerals !
Note the rainbow colored rim in the Walkathon Logo !
Be Fit-Be Cool Walkathon Logo
Around the world is a family walking on the track to indicate that
whole family should be involved in fighting childhood obesity
Rainbow colors indicate that you eat colorful fruits and vegetables
that are rich in vitamins and nutrients.
Wear Yellow in month of September & on
12/12 ( Dec 12 ) every year to promote
Childhood Obesity awareness
As September was proclaimed by President Obama as Childhood Obesity
Awareness Month & 12/12/12 was proclaimed as
World Childhood Obesity Awareness Day by Tulsa Mayor
Wear Red - Heart Disease
Wear Pink - Breast cancer
Wear Blue - Colon cancer
Wear Yellow – Obesity / Childhood