Valerie Geen: UNIDO
14 September 2017
Mainstreaming SME’s participation in the Green Economy
What does Mainstreaming mean?
goods and services
Defining a Green Economy ?
A green economy as one that results in improved human
well-being and social equity, while significantly reducing
environmental risks and ecological scarcities. In its
simplest expression, a green economy can be thought of as
one which is low carbon, resource efficient and socially
Green Economy Report : UNEP 2011
The United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP)
What needs to change?
2015 SME insights Report : SAICA
Are we making progress?
How do we move forward?
• Shared vision of what we mean by Green Economy in SA
• Engagement on our Economic business model into the future
• Green Economy through the Business value chain
• Partnerships and integration between Government and
• Sharing and understanding the pain: