Welcome to 5NV
Open House Night
Mrs. Venema’s Class 2013-2014
• I am from Perth, Australia.
• This is my second year here at SAS. I’m here in
Shanghai with my husband, Steve (he teaches
MS Orchestra), and our two children (Jocelyn –
5 years and Malachi – 2 years old).
• This is our 9th year in Shanghai. We have spent
7 years teaching at SCIS in Hongqiao. There I
taught Grade 1 and Grade 3.
• I’ve taught Grade K-7 in Australia, as well as
library, technology, an Education Support Unit,
and have been the acting principal in a remote
• Updated every week: Informs parents of
upcoming curriculum topics, important
dates, and reminders of upcoming events
• Includes photos from time to time
• Parent emails are set up to receive a
notification when the blog is updated.
My Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Agendas: These need to travel to and from school
each day. You can write me a note in the diary, or
send me an email. Students update their Agendas
on Mondays with homework and upcoming events
and throughout the week as needed.
All classroom communication will be via emails and
the class blog page.
Emergency Phone Tree
• Go home most days
• Contain important school information,
permission slips, flyers and The Eagle
• Specialist rotations
• A typical day
• Last period rotation
Daily Schedule for 5NV
8:10 Attendance, Morning Tasks
12:15-12:35 Lunch Recess
1:45-2:00 Agendas, Review
2:15-3:00 PE-Day 1
Science – Day 2&5
Social Studies – Day 3&6
• Technology is incorporated into every
subject (blogging, Google Earth, Mathletics,
• Math: Everyday Math
• Mathletics: An online supplement that is
aligned with our Everyday Math
• Reading: Workshop model designed to
meet and challenge the needs of every
student through mini-lessons, conferencing,
and sustained reading of student selected
• Writing: A workshop model where idea
development, voice, organization,
conventions, word choice, sentence fluency,
peer / self-editing and revision skills are
Core Subjects (continued)
• Social Studies: American history units
from the 18th, 19th, and 20th Centuries
• Science: The Scientific Process, Health,
Landforms, Models and Designs, and
• Word Study: Emphasizes spelling patterns
to assist students in expanding their English
Core Subjects (continued)
• Passport Club: Parent supported,
organized and operated geography program
for the entire Elementary School
• Notify Linda Yeh (email@example.com) and
• Sign in at the office if arriving late.
• Sign out at the office if you are leaving early
during the day.
• Students absent for extended periods should
email me for homework , and see me when
they return for catch up work and instructions.
• Homework is assigned Monday - Thursday
• 25-30mins from core subjects (math, language,
social studies, science) per night.
• 25-30mins from Chinese class per night
• 25-30mins reading
• Various projects and special assignments will
be additional homework throughout the year.
• Access to a computer with a reliable internet
connection is essential for blogging homework
• We would love to celebrate your child’s birthday
with them, here in class. Please feel free to send
in or bring along a birthday treat to share –
morning snack time is usually best for this (10:00-
• Please email me to arrange the best day and time.
• N.B. We currently have 17 students in our class.
• Unless your child is inviting the entire class to a
birthday party at home, please arrange to
distribute birthday invitations outside of school
Room Parents & Volunteers
• Our Room Mom is Stephanie (Cheryl’s mom)
and Young Hee Oh (Christina’s mom) will also
• Some activities where we will need parent
Parties (Halloween, Winter Holiday, Chinese
New Year and End of Year).
• I will advertise the need for volunteers closer to
the scheduled dates on the class blog.
A taste of what we
expect from our
Grade 5 students…
The Dot Game
1. Find the other people with the same color dot
that you have.
No Peeking at your dot!
2. Find the basket with your color dot.
Sit here and introduce yourself to your new
Build the tallest structure you can using these materials.
It must support the marshmallow at the apex.
You have 15 minutes of build time.
Please use the pink and blue Post-it notes to
write a quick reflection for your child.
What did you enjoy
or like about this
What did you find
or frustrating about
Questions or Comments
Please use the yellow Post-it notes if you
have a question that was not addressed in
I will respond in a group or personal email.
Thank You For Coming!
I look forward to working with you and your child
in the year ahead.
Next stop: PAC @ 7:30
For an overview of our specialist teachers.