Be the first to like this
Innovation Showcase: October 17, 2013
3Play Media provides captioning, transcription, and translation services. They are an MIT spinout based in Cambridge, MA with over 700 customers, many of whom are in higher ed.
Accessibility is a growing concern:
- Worldwide, 1 billion people have a disability
- U.S.: 56.7 million have a disability (48 million related to hearing)
- U.S.: 11% of higher ed students have a disability
- U.S.: 45% of 1.6 million veterans sought disability (177,000 related to hearing loss)
Captions are text that has been time-syncrhonized with the media. They convey all spoken content as well as relevant sound effects.
The 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act requires all Internet programming that previously aired on television with captions to have captions online, as well.
The values of captioning include:
- Accessibility for deaf and hard of hearing
- Accessibility for ESL viewers
- Flexibility to view anywhere, such as noisy environments or offices
- Navigation, better UX
- Used as source for translation
Follow the slideshow to learn how to upload and publish captions to your videos with 3Play Media.
Josh Miller | Co-Founder, 3Play Media