Study of All Components of
Turbojet Engine, Its Working
& Complete Study of Its
What Is A Jet Engine?
• A jet engine is a reaction engine
discharging a fast moving jet that
generates thrust by jet propulsion
in accordance with Newton's laws
• It is a machine designed for the
purpose of creating large volumes
of high velocity exhaust gases.
• This is done in order to produce
the thrust needed to overcome the
aerodynamic drag of an aeroplane.
History Of A Jet Engine
• First jet engine was built by
Egyptian scientists during 100
• These devices were known as
• Dr. Hans Von Ohain patented a
gas turbine engine on
27th August 1939
• First Turbojet airline began in
• Jet engine is nothing but a Gas turbine.
• It works under the principle of Newton’s third law
• It states that “For every action there is equal and opposite reaction”.
• Gas turbine operates like toy balloon
Parts of A Jet Engine
How A Jet Engine Works?
• The basic operation of a jet engine is:-
1. Air enters and is compressed in a compressor
2. Fuel is than added and ignited
3. The resulting gas spins a turbine
4. The turbine powers the compressor
5. The gas than exits the engine at the tail pipe
• The way a jet engine operates is similar to the way an automobile
engine operates i.e intake, compression, ignition, exhaust
The Fundamental Thermodynamic Cycle On Which Gas Turbine Engines Are Based
The Brayton Cycle Or Joule Cycle
• Jet A , Jet A-1 & Jet B are the fuels mostly used in jet engines.
• Jet B is used in very cold climates where the temperature drops upto
• Jet A-1 & Jet A has the following properties:-
1. Flash point = 380C
2. Auto-Ignition Temperature = 2450C
3. Freezing point A-1 = -470C
4. Freezing point A = -400C
Flast point of a volatile material is the lowest temperature at which it
can vapourize to form an ignitable mixture in air
• What is propulsion?
• The word is derived from two Latin words:
pro meaning before or forwards, and
pellere meaning to drive.
• Propulsion means to push forward or drive an object forward.
• A propulsion system is a machine that produces thrust to push an