Narrative text is a kind of the text that
retell the story in the past.
The purpose or social function or
communicative target is to entertain or to
amuse the readers or listeners about the
Generic Structures of Narrative Text
1. Orientation = the recognition of the setting (background of the
story) : figure, time, and place.
2. Complication = the conflict development of the story .
3. Resolution = the solving of the conflict.
4. Reorientation = This is a closing remark to the story and it is
optional. It consists of a moral lesson, advice or teaching from
KINDS OF NARRATIVE TEXT
2. Legend (Latin, legend, "things to be read")
5. Fairy Tale
6. Science fiction
7. Modern fantasy
Kinds of narrative text
1. Fairy Tale : typically features such
folkloric characters as fairies, goblins and
trolls. Ex: Cinderella, Aladdin, Pinocchio
2. Legend : legend is a narrative of human actions that
are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place
within human history.
Ex: Malin kundang, Sangkuriang.
3. Fable : Fable is a story, often about animals, that
points out some aspect of human behaviouor and often
has a moral attached to it. Ex: Winny the Pooh, Ice age.
Narrative text, since it told a story, is dominantly
constructed in the past tenses. It is logic because every story
happened in the past time.
Past Tense used:
1. Simple Past Tense
2. Past Continuous
3. Past Perfect
4. Past future continuous
5. Past perfect continuous