Ramifications of digital divide powerpoint(black diamondz)
WAYSTO ASSISTTHE GOVERNMENT TO SOLVETHE ISSUES AROUND
WHAT IS DIGITAL DIVIDE
• Interaction between people and computers has increased in the twenty-first
century.The capability to access computers and the internet has become
increasingly significant to engage in the economic, political, and social aspects of
the world. Not everyone has access to this technology.The idea of the "digital
divide" refers to the growing gap between the poor affiliates of society, especially
the poor, rural, elderly, and handicapped percentage of the population who do not
have access to computers, and the wealthy people who have access.
ISSUES SURROUNDING DIGITAL DIVIDE
• SOCIO-ECONOMIC DIVIDE
• DIVIDE IN INFRASTRUCTURE
• DIVIDE IN CONTENT
• GENDER DIVIDE
• A SKILLS DIVIDE
• UNIVERSAL ACCESS DIVIDE
• Socio-economic factors -impact digital divide in South Africa as it is a developing
country, for instance one’s income and occupation. And ones culture/ethnicity
• Divide in infrastructure- this goes along the theme of developed vs. developing
countries developed countries have a far greater penetration of appropriate,
advanced and up-to-date infrastructure as opposed to those that are developing
• Divide in content-According to Dutton (2004), nearly 70% of websites are in
English. Although this has changed substantially, the fact of the matter remains
that English dominates the web. English is our universal language.
• Gender divide-this refers to the inequality and division between female and males
in the country, where studies have shown that males prove to be more dominant
• Skills divide- it is a proven fact that some people have more skills than other and
this id due to the type of education one received and this contributes to the digital
division I n SA
WAYSTO ASSISTTHE GOVERNMENT
• CREATE NON-PROFIT ORGANISATIONS TO HELPTHOSETHAT ARE COMPUTER
• RAISE AWARENESS FUNDSTO BUILD MORE IT LABS FORTHE LOCATION.
• GET INTOUCHWITH A GLOBAL SEARCH ENGINE COMPANY, e.g. Google LOOK
ATTHE POSSIBILITY OF EXPANDING BANDWIDTHTO RURAL AREAS.
W HAT CANTHE GOVERNMENT DOTO
ASSIST SOLVETHE ISSUE
• How can the Government assist to solve the issues? Government can assist in
numerous ways to solve the issues surrounding access. Governments should act by
developing and using e- government tools in order to enhance e-readiness,
encourage and educate the usage of ICT, and support the development of ICT
skills in a non-discriminatory manner.
QUENCEQUENCES OF DIGITAL DIVIDE
• Consequences of the Digital DivideThe digital divide causes significant problems
In struggling parts of the world. Access to technology is more restricted in the
poorer less developed parts of the world such as Africa, India and southern parts of
Asia.These poorer nations are unable to afford the initial start up cost to be able
to invest into technology to allow their nation to be able to have and maintain
• references Anon. 2015. DigitalCitizenship. Module Manual.The Independent Institute of
Education: unpublished. Canva.com. (2016). marketinggoals 2017 – Presentation by
kerryannthomas3. [online]Available at:
24 May 2016]. Dekman5, (2016). Global Digital Divide. [image]Available at:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Global_Digital_Divide1.png [Accessed 24 May
2016]. Investinganswers.com. (2016). Knowledge Capital Definition & Example | Investing
Answers. [online]Available at: http://www.investinganswers.com/financial-
dictionary/businesses-corporations/knowledge-capital-6014 [Accessed 24 May 2016].
Spence, M. (1973). Job Market Signaling.The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 87(3), p.355.
The United Nations, (2012). Social Inequality. [image]Available at:
adjusted_Human_Development_Index.png [Accessed 24 May 2016].WhatIs.com. (2016).
What is digital divide? - Definition fromWhatIs.com. [online]Available at:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/digital-divide [Accessed 24 May 2016].