Occupational Health Referrals
The OH Business
What is Occupational Health?
• The branch of medicine dealing with the
prevention and treatment of job-related injuries
• I am a qualified Registered Nurse with additional
• The aim of occupational health is to prevent
work-related illness and injury by:
• Monitoring the health of the workforce.
• Supporting the management of sickness
The business Case for OH..
• Sickness absence costs UK business £28.8bn a year.
• £554 per employee.
• Occupational illness and accidents cost £2.8bn/year.
• OH can deliver significant savings by preventing
occupational illness and promoting employees’
health and performance.
When to Refer to OH?
• Early!! Don’t wait for the sick note!!
• Before absence occurs…keep employee in work.
• Notice early employee changes.
• Refer at once for ‘Stress’ or musculoskeletal absence.
• Frequent short term absence.
• Any significant diagnosis refer immediately
• Any performance concerns ? Health related…refer.
How to Refer
• Speak with employee.
• Advise of concerns regarding health.
• Explain and reassure how OH can provide support.
• Complete referral form.
• Put as much Information as you can!
• Think about what adjustments are possible for you.
• Ask for specific OH advice...what do you want to
The Report will Include…
• Answers to your questions…make sure you ask some.
• Return to work timescales.
• Advice on capability despite medical condition being
• Timescales for recovery of condition.
• If the Equality Act likely/not likely to apply
• Advice on reasonable adjustments.
• Whether the employee may have further absences.
• Early identification of health issues is key.
• OH can provide advice to help you to manage
• Duty to make reasonable adjustments.
• Clear actionable advice given in report.
• You are not reliant on GP opinion any more.
• OH will focus on Capability not disability.
• Develop case conference approach.
• Twitter @theohbusiness
• Mobile 07864 006850