Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Sidney Little, Man of vision pp.

622 views

Published on

The housing work of Sidney Little "The Concrete King" of Hastings, UK.

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Sidney Little, Man of vision pp.

  1. 1. 1 © British Pathe
  2. 2. HISTORY RESEARCH PROJECT HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS UNEMPLOYMENT Problems, Solutions and Assistance 1927 – 1938 How the problems of unemployment between the years 1927- 1938 were resolved in the County Borough of Hastings, in both the long and the short term. With particular reference to the use of Government Assistance on Capital Project, Local Authority Schemes and Charity help Andre Palfrey-Martin BA(Hons) Queen Mary & Westfield College University of London 1991 2
  3. 3. Boating Lake Old Town Underground Car Parking Front Line – Sea Defences Bathing Pool Sun Lounge Promenade – Upper and Lower [Bottle Alley] Water Supply – Hastings - Darwell Great Saunders Sewers and Water Infrastructure, pumping stations etc Slum Clearance Council Housing – Hastings, Hollington and The Bourne Creation of many Apprenticeships in Building Trades with Council Direct Labour St John’s Place – Museum extensions White Rock Baths Plans for Municipal Airport Front line extension plans old Towns to Firelight etc Two Tier Town Centre Post War Housing Major Projects Ore & Hollington Major road improvements 3
  4. 4. Born Carlisle 1885 Father John – Engineer & Surveyor First appointment Leeds Council Became Member institute of Civil Engineers (At the age of 25) Further appointments Wallasey & Southampton Appointed Deputy then Borough Engineer - Ipswich Appointed Borough Engineer & Water Engineer - Hastings 30 July 1926 Later appointed as Town Planning Officer – an additional role Retired from office 1950 Freedom of the Borough 1960 Died 1961 4
  5. 5. Borough Engineer: Phillip Palmer In post 36 years Overseen much of the towns development since late 19th century Replaced in 1923 Mr George Whitaker Departed after 18 months to Cardiff 5
  6. 6. 46 Applicants 8 shortlisted Little interviewed Little took control of interview Council decision Little - Appointed 6
  7. 7. CLEAN WATER IN FOUL WATER/SEWAGE OUT 7
  8. 8. 8
  9. 9. 9
  10. 10. 10
  11. 11. 11
  12. 12.  Civil Engineering design and supervision  Architectural design and supervision  Town Planning  Water Supply  Highways & Footpaths  Sewers, Drains and Tanks  Street Cleaning & Refuse Collecting  Maintenance of Sea-Front and defences  Stores and storeyards  Paving Stone Works at Rock-a-Nore  Stade Maintenance  Parking stations  Public Conveniences  Administration of Building Bye Laws  Street & Decorative Lighting  Building maintenance Municipal Buildings, Council housing & Schools  And more..........  Staff 50-60  Administrative  Technical [Engineers, Architects & Surveyors]  Direct Labour Supervisors  Direct labour Force, between 200 – 500, including permanent Tradesmen and service staff, plus temporary for Capital projects 12
  13. 13. o The Nurses Home - Municipal Hospital, previous the workhouse until 1930 and then St Helens from 1948 o Council Housing estates both pre and post WW2 [1928 ongoing] o Municipal Office conversion in Wellington Square – there were a great range of offices in the Square when Hastings Had Country Borough status, including Education, Engineers, Treasurers & Housing to name but a few o Indoor Bowls facilities at White Rock Gardens o Work on St John’s Place as Museum and addition of Art Gallery & Durbar Hall [Opened 1928, additions 1932] o Engine House & Chemical House, Brede Waterworks o The Hastings Crematorium [1939] o White Rock Gardens o Major highways throughout the town 13
  14. 14. Reconstruction of the White Rock Baths The Bathing Pool 14
  15. 15. 15
  16. 16. ROADS 16
  17. 17. 17
  18. 18. 18
  19. 19. 19
  20. 20. 20
  21. 21. 21
  22. 22. 22
  23. 23. 23
  24. 24. 24
  25. 25. 25
  26. 26. 26
  27. 27. 27
  28. 28. 28
  29. 29. 29
  30. 30. 30
  31. 31. 31
  32. 32. 32
  33. 33. 33
  34. 34. 34
  35. 35. 35
  36. 36. 36
  37. 37. 37
  38. 38. 38
  39. 39. 39
  40. 40. 40
  41. 41. 41
  42. 42. 42
  43. 43. 43
  44. 44. 44
  45. 45. 45
  46. 46. 46
  47. 47. 47
  48. 48. 48
  49. 49. 49
  50. 50. 50
  51. 51. 51
  52. 52. 52
  53. 53. 53
  54. 54. 54
  55. 55. 55
  56. 56. 56
  57. 57. 57
  58. 58. 58
  59. 59. 59
  60. 60. 60
  61. 61. 61
  62. 62. 62
  63. 63.  Alison Hawkins: Hastings Museum & Art Gallery  Anne Scott: Hastings History House  Hastings Reference Library  Zoe Edwards : East Sussex County Records Office Sources include:  Richard Pollard : “Sidney Little”  Rod Osborne : “The Development of Hastings as a Seaside Resort 1925-1950” 63
  64. 64. This has been a Two Donkeys Production For Scoobie Media Facilities ©André Palfrey-Martin 64

×