LOOKING BACK AT YOUR PRELIMINARY
TASK, WHAT DO YOU FEEL YOU HAVE
LEARNT IN THE PROGRESSION FROM IT TO
THE FULL PRODUCT?
Creating s preliminary task was very helpful, as it allowed us to learn new,
and improve on current production skills, that would help us greatly when it
came to making our final opening sequence. For example, we learnt how
Effectively use a tripod to gain better control and use of the camera, and
reduce the amount of wobble in shots. In our preliminary task, we only
used a tripod for some shots. When editing, we found that the shots taken
with a tripod were of a higher quality – less wobble – therefore we learnt
that for our final sequence, we should use a tripod for all shots (except
those where we wanted to have a Steadicam effect). This allowed us to
make our final sequence as professional as possible, so that an audience
could watch it and think it is a real film.
Better editing skills. Our preliminary task allowed us to begin
to learn how to use Premiere Pro, and how to use it efficiently and
effectively. This meant that when it came to editing our final
sequence, we already had a grasp of how to add transitions and
effects, and how to remove/change the volume of audio. This meant that
we could be more time efficient with our editing, as we could just get on
with it, with as little fuss as possible. It also meant that the overall quality of
our product was improved, as we knew what effects or transitions would be
best to create an effective title sequence.
IMPORTANCE OF RESEARCH
Before planning and creating our final sequence, it
was vital that we undertook research on films in our
chosen genre. This meant that we could find out the
common conventions within the films and their title
sequences. With this information, it allowed us to
plan and create a more believable psychological
horror film, as we know what the conventions are
and create our sequence based on these. (We
decided to use the common conventions, rather
than challenge them).
IMPORTANCE OF PLANNING
As well as researching our genre, we had to carefully
plan out each frame, the character profiles, our filming
and our font/soundtrack.
Producing detailed storyboards, character profiles (with
costume and props), location recces and a titles timeline
was vital, as it meant that we had a structure to work
form when it came to filming, so we weren’t thinking of
all of the scenes and characters at the very last minute.
This therefore meant that few could be more efficient
with our filming, by getting all the shot we need in as few
shoots as possible, which saves more time for creating
a higher quality final sequence through editing.
Also it was important to plan our soundtrack (diegetic
and non-diegetc), as our film is a psychological horror,
so having the right balance between eerie diegetic and
non-diegetic sound was essential to create a creepy,
unnerving atmosphere, that would set the tone up for
the audience, for the rest of the film.
Our soundtrack – Atrium Carceri - Thermographic Components. This
soundtrack definitely helped to set up an unnerving, frightening
To ensure that we created a title sequence of the
highest possible quality, we had to use our time
effectively when filming and editing.
We got all of our filming done in only two shoots. This
was very helpful, as it gave us more time to focus on
editing our rough edits and final sequence, so that we
had the opportunity to fine tune the sequence so that it
was the best it could possibly be.
As well as this, we also got the bulk of our editing
(getting the right shots, the right length, in the right
place) done quite quickly and efficiently . This meant
that we had more time to improve small, lower quality
parts of our sequence. It also meant that we could
reshoot some shots, and gain audience feedback on our
rough edits, to make sure that we kept improving our
sequence to make it as effective as possible.