Scotland is a part of the United Kingdom
It occupies the northern third of the island of GB
It shares a border with England to the south
Largest cities of Scotland
• Edinburgh – the capital of
• Glasgow – Scotland´s largest city
• Aberdeen – Europe´s oil capital
• Dundee – known for jam, jute and
• The total area of Scotland is comparable to the size of
the Czech Republic
• The population of Scotland is about 5 mil.
• Official language is English, also scottish gaelic is spoken
in the northern part of Scotland
• Currency – pound sterling (£)
• Scotland has over 790 islands
• The highest mountain in the British Isles is BEN NEVIS (1,344
A famous traditional Scottish instrument
is the Great Highland Bagpipe
A bag made
the arm to blow
air through the
wearing kilt in 18th
century. It was
such a symbol of
English rule. It was
banned by the
from 1747 to 1783.
A checked pattern of different
coloured lines and stripes produced
in woolen cloth, has been
traditional in Scotland for many
centuries, and each Scottish family
or clan has its own different tartan
as en emblem.
• Haggis is Scotland´s national dish.
It is a large round sausage made
by stuffing a sheep´s stomach with
sheep´s liver, heart and lungs, suet
and oatmeal and seasonings.
• It is eaten with mashed turnips and