• The lyrics throughout this song are all related to a love relationship but could also be
interpreted by the audience as talking about the use of drugs and the emotions and
feelings when taking them. The first narrative verse:
Its like your screaming, and no one can hear
You almost feel ashamed
That someone could be that important
That without them, you feel like nothing
No one will ever understand how much it hurts
You feel hopeless, like nothing can save you
And when its over, and its gone
You almost wish that you could have all that bad stuff back
So that you could have the good.
• The lyrics could suggest a bad moment in a relationship or a break up and all the feelings
you have towards this situation. But on the other hand it could also be about drugs and
how without them you feel like nothing and the come down of the drugs makes you feel ill
and hopeless and the feeling of withdrawal symptoms, so you want to do drugs again to
make you feel good and take away the physical and emotional pain.
• The main chorus ‘we found love in a hopeless place’ can also fit in with taking drugs and
the feelings you have when you’re in this other place to reality.
• The first speech is said on its own with just a piano playing an emotional
tune to make it more emotional and then the main song is all upbeat and
fast tempo music.
• The genre of this song is dance pop and electro house. The video is
focused more on a story than a dance routine which is incorporated in
with the track. It closely focuses on Rihanna and her boyfriend (in the
video) and shows their love story over a period of time. It is clear that
drug use is a main element of their relationship and they appear to be
more on drugs than in a normal state. The video is aimed at teenagers of
around 16+, as people this age tend to get in relationships and may get
involved with drug use.
• They appear to live in an urban area that is built up and not necessarily a
nice place to live in. Also living in a flat together which appears to be one
main room which is messy dirty and the wallpaper is clouds suggesting
the state of mind their in when in this room due to their drug use.
• As the beat builds up in the song, the pictures during the video are of
drugs, a dilated pupil and their messy room- this all associates the
consequences of them doing drugs and when the beat drops they appear
to be dancing and raving to the beat, this could symbolise the place there
in after taking these drugs.
1. Close-up: Close up shots focusing on the two main people within the
whole video, firstly individual shots of them both which suggests what
they have ended up like after and then close ups of them together to show
what they were like and how close their relationship was.
2.Mid-shot showing her location at the time. Then close ups of her body
and her facial expressions and then following onto them touching each
other. Which suggests to the audience they are in a relationship.
The whole music video is mainly close-ups of facial expressions and
actions they are taking which help the audience to understand the full
• Cuts are used to change time and location during the video.
• Rapid editing
• Depth of field is used briefly to focus on the person and make the