A glandular disorder maybe functional , meaning it results in the overproduction or underproduction of the hormone that the gland produces.
“ hyper” - means overproduction
“ hypo” – means underproduction
A glandular disorder may also be anatomical , such as the enlargement of a gland.
It is the under productivity of the thyroid due to lack of iodine in the diet.
Iodine is necessary for the production of thyroxin.
A patient should have more fish and iodized salt in his diet.
If the goiter is too large, it can be removed by surgery.
It is the over productivity of the thyroid gland
Is the under productivity of the thyroid gland that results in decreased production of thyroxin.
– a person affected by cretinism.
- he is short in height & mentally retarded.
- Is the overproduction of growth hormones.
The tallest man in medical history for whom there is irrefutable evidence is Robert Pershing Wadlow . He was born at Alton, Illinois, USA, on February 22, 1918, and when he was last measured on June 27, 1940, was found to be 2.72 m (8 ft 11.1 in) tall.
- Is the underproduction of growth hormones.
Adults with this disorder are called midgets.
- A disease caused by too much sugar in the blood
2 types of Diabetes
Diabetes I (Infantile Diabetes)
- starts at a young age
- insulin-producing cells are destroyed due to infection or inborn defects.