4.2.25. Total Time
The value of the cmi.total_time data model element is the sum of all of the learner’s
session times (cmi.session_time) accumulated in the current learner attempt prior to
the current learner session . This data model element is used to track the total time
spent in all of the learner’s sessions for a given learner attempt (refer to Section 2.1.1:
Run-Time Environment Temporal Model for more details on learner attempts and learner
Table 4.2.25a: Dot-notation Binding for the Total Time Data Model Element
Dot-Notation Binding Details
cmi.total_time Data Model Element Implementation Requirements:
• Data Type: timeinterval (second,10,2) - a time interval with resolution to
• Format: Refer to Section 126.96.36.199: Data Types for more information on the
requirements for the format of the timeinterval (second,10,2) data type.
LMS Behavior Requirements:
• This data model element is mandatory and shall be implemented by the
LMS as read-only.
• Since this data model element is implemented by the LMS as read-only, it is
the responsibility of the LMS to manage this data. Since this value is the
accumulated session times (cmi.session_time), the LMS cannot determine
this value until the SCO sets session times. If the SCO requests the value
before any session times have been set, then the LMS shall behave
according to the API Implementation Requirements behaviors defined
• The value of the cmi.total_time shall not be updated by the LMS while a
learner session is in progress.