1. Zerminay ShahIn what ways does yourmedia product, use, developor challenge forms andconventions of realmedia products?
2. I began my research by looking into theconventions of broadsheet, tabloid andlocal newspapers, to give myself anunderstanding of what the maindifferences there are between each typeof newspaper and what they also share soI would have a clear idea when creatingmy newspaper what kind of newspaper Iwould want to make and to follow thereparticular conventions.
3. The Difference between tabloidand broadsheet newspapers?Broadsheet newspapers.• Hard news.• Front cover is heavy text,rather than mainlypictures.• Not as many images oradvertisements.• Not Colourful.• More serious and lesssensationalist.• More expensive than tabloidnewspapers.• Overall a thicker newspaper(more stories).
4. Tabloid newspaper –• More relaxed and laid backlanguage.• Front cover is mainlypictures.• Soft News (mainly aboutcelebrities and gossip).• Designed to appeal to amass audience andreadership.• The format is smaller givingthe news in condensedform.• Usually many pictures.• Cheap.
5. I researched the difference between nationaltabloid and broadsheet newspapersto learn the different codes and conventions used.Just by reading the headlines of the articles and skimming through thearticles I could tell the language in broadsheet newspapers is much moreserious and informative than in tabloid newspaper, articles such aspolitics or serious incidents in the UK or other countries.The type of articles and language used in tabloid newspaper is a lot morelaid back language and soft news, such as celebrities, gossip andsensationalist crime stories.In comparison, the mode of address for both these type of newspapersare completely different, Broadsheet newspapers are much more formal,therefore are aimed towards an upper class, especially as they are alsomore expensive. Whereas tabloid newspapers are more informal,therefore aimed towards working class or lower class people, and arealso cheap.
6. Local Newspaper Conventions:Large boldmastheadsSoft newsLocal businessesadvertisementsLarge, bold and eyecatching headlinesThree colour ruleFrom my research, I learnt most newspapers are aimed towards adults and elderlypeople. The typical subjects included in local newspapers would not appeal toteenagers or a younger audience. Most of the local adverts would not appeal tothem either.
7. Ham& High Local Newspaper.From all my research into local newspapersfrom different areas, Ham&High, which isaimed towards people living in Hampsteadand Highgate, was my favourite localnewspaper.The main reason I feel I preferred this themost was because of the layout and designthey used. I found many of the localnewspapers I researched layout and designsvery simple, such as the fonts and coloursused.As I wanted to create a local newspaper whichwould be eye catching and look interesting, Ichose to use this newspaper as a guidethroughout creating my newspaper, such asusing the same gutter and bleedmeasurements as they used and also a similarlayout.
8. I chose to do conventions similar to tabloid newspapers as I felt this would appeal moretowards my target audience, being young people. Yet I also used some broadsheetnewspaper conventions.Conventions I used from tabloid newspapers for my frontcover:ColourfulMany images andadvertisementsincludedLarge boldmastheadVarious fontsusedCelebrity IncludedLarge bold fontused for mainarticleLanguage appealsto target audience
9. Conventions similar to broadsheetnewspapers for my front cover:More text used onthe front coverthan tabloidnewspapers
10. How Is my local newspaper similar toother local newspapers?Large, bold and eyecatching masthead.Local businesses beingadvertisedMain article is softnews.Three colourrule used.Different fonts andfont sizes usedBannersCaptions
11. First page of local newspaperscodes and conventions:Contents4 columnsRegular topicsincluded withinthe newspaperBy lineContactdetailsEvents in the localareaWelcomeparagraphLocal businessbeing advertised
12. Similar conventions with my local newspaper and anotherlocal newspaper:ContentsLocal advertisementsSubheadsin largebold fontFour columnsusedContact detailsSoft news,e.g. eventsin thearea,whatsnew in theare etc.
13. Challenging & Developingconventions• I feel with my first page of my local newspaper I made,I challenged and developed the conventions. Ifollowed the conventions of adding a contents, andarticles which are soft news.• Conventions I feel I challenged was adding many morepictures and colour than what would normally beput in a local newspaper, as my target audience isteenagers and young people I felt I had to add thisto attract them more.•
14. Radio AdvertisementBefore I began writing the script andrecording my radio advertisement Idid some research into how to makeeffective radio advertisements. Oncepicking up the typical codes andconventions, I knew how to structuremy radio advertisement.• I followed the conventionsof keeping it under 50seconds, so theaudience listening don’tbecome uninterested.• Using various sound effects.• Keeping it simple yet uniqueat the same time.The script I wrote for my radio advertisement.
15. Billboard Poster.Before creating this media product, Ialso did some research into effectivebillboard posters. Unfortunately Iwas unable to find any newspapersbeing advertised on billboards asthey are not typically advertised onthem. Yet I followed theconventions of:• White background with a simpleyet eye catching image whichis relevant to the productbeing promoted.• Giving a large bold question,which is sometimes a quoteas well.• Giving simple and shortinformation about theproduct being sold.
16. • Overall I feel I used most conventions from tabloidnewspapers mainly. The conventions I challengedwould be my target audience, as most localnewspapers are aimed towards the elderly oradults.• Another convention I challenged was having moretext than most tabloid newspapers and moresimilar to broadsheet newspapers.• Conventions I developed would be including atwitter address for the newspaper, and also anapp which could be downloaded. I did this as thiswould appeal for my target audience.