A series of 10 interview questions for hiring great customer service reps, along with suggestions for what to look for in responses.
1. 10 Interview Questions for Hiring Great Customer Service Reps
2. #1 QUESTION “Who have you spoken with so far in the interview process and what did you talk about?”
3. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR The ability to remember names, roles, and topics discussed
4. #2 QUESTION “Tell me about your last or current position — what did you love and what didn’t you like?”
5. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR Passion in experiences and aspirations
6. #3 QUESTION “Tell me about problems with the products or services you previously supported?”
7. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR Critical thinking and the use of speciﬁc details
8. #4 QUESTION “What things on your resume are you really an expert on?”
9. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR The ability to provide examples of tough issues solved with those skills
10. #5 QUESTION “How do you respond when you don’t know the answer to a question?”
11. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR A clear approach and strategy
12. #6 QUESTION “The customer is saying you’re taking too long to solve the issue, what do you do?”
13. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR Professional savvy and strong decision-making skills
14. #7 QUESTION “The customer is pointing out a big known problem with your product, what do you do?”
15. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR The ability to empathize and apologize
16. #8 QUESTION “Can you give an example of a customer that you turned around from a position of unhappiness to sheer joy?”
17. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR Examples should come easily and be a source of pride
18. #9 QUESTION “Deﬁne really great support. What experiences have you had personally that are great examples?”
19. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR Sharing the same philosophy and understanding of the industry
20. #10 QUESTION “Have you tried our product/service and what do you know about it?”
21. WHAT TO LISTEN FOR Clear evidence that homework was done and a real desire to work in your organization
22. Really great support requires really great people. We hope these questions help you ﬁnd those people.
23. One moon shows in every pool. In every pool, the one moon. It must be nice to have a pool.