View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
CICLORIA PROJECTPlanning Leisure Cycling in the Ria de Aveiro JOSÉ CARLOS MOTA email@example.com DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL, POLITICAL AND TERRITORIAL SCIENCES - UNIVERSITY OF AVEIRO
STRUCTURE OF PRESENTATION 1. LEISURE CYCLING CONCEPT 2. CICLORIA PROJECT • GOALS, CONCEPT & METHODOLOGY • ACTIVITIES & RESULTS • BALANCE, DISCUSSION & CONCLUSIONS 3. THE FUTURE OF LEISURE CYCLING IN THE REGION
1. LEISURE CYCLING • A recent study published by the European Commission about the economic impact of cycle tourism at the European level concluded that it represents about 2.8 billion trips/year, 26 million tourist trips and 54 billion Euros/year; • EUROVELO - Cycling European Network - consisted of twelve transcontinental trails, with a total of 66.000 Km, 75% already built, represents 12,5 million travellers, with an economic impact of 4.4 billion Euros;
1. LEISURE CYCLING Route characteristics • safety (low traffic density), ease of use (signposting), route variety and accommodation/catering. Benefits of leisure cycling (EC, 2009): • localities which currently do not enjoy mainstream tourism development; • spending is similar to that of other visitors; • spending is focused more in the area through which the route passes and, depending on nature of local supply chains, will circulate in these local economies for longer; • development of routes amounts to a relatively low-cost investment (involve disused assets or shared space on roads where traffic levels are generally low);
2. CICLORIA – GOALS, CONCEPT AND METHODOLOGY PROJECT • promoted by the municipalities of Murtosa, Ovar and Estarreja and the University of Aveiro, under a national programme supported by European funds - QREN/POVT – Urban Development Innovative Actions – Urban Mobility; • aims to create the conditions to promote and develop leisure cycling mobility in the Aveiro Lagoon Region and value local & scientific knowledge, skills and resources (science, art, economy and space) • open new ways of thinking about place-based development strategies;
2. CICLORIA – GOALS, CONCEPT AND METHODOLOGY Approach aims to: • promote the use of the bicycle in the region, specially in a leisure and tourism perspective, but also in a promotion of healthy life styles; • organize and structure the physical elements of the territory with special leisure and tourism amenities; • value natural, cultural and patrimonial resources and the scientific and empirical knowledge that the region (institutions and people) have produced; • mobilize the technological knowledge (specially mobile technology) to help innovative ways of enjoyment of the territory resources; • promote the development of R&D linked to the bicycle, specially in the technology, design, materials and energy; • stimulate community involvement, specially the educative community and social and economic stakeholders in the design and implementation of the project.
2. CICLORIA – GOALS, CONCEPT AND METHODOLOGY METHODOLOGY • non-linear & collaborative methodology; social- constructivist approach (HEALEY 1997); • linking knowledge to action (FRIEDMAN 1987); • linking local governments, researchers, municipal, stakeholders & community • articulating different scientific disciplines (land use planning, tourism, biology and geology, environment, education, culture, design and communication, telecommunications, mechanic and civil engineering and health) to define an adequate and articulated framework of initiatives
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS LEARNING WITH NATIONAL AND INTERNACIONAL EXPERIENCES • Conferência internacional sobre Lazer Ciclável, 6 NOV 2009 • Les Lumsdon & Richard Weston (visits to Institute of Transport and Tourism –Lancashire University – UK, 2009/10) • Visits to Madrid, Barcelona & Sevilha – international good practices (Conferência Europeia das ‘Vias Verdes’, Madrid, 10 a 12 Junho 2010; Conferência ‘Cycle and Walking’, Girona, 7, 8, 9 e 10 Outubro 2010; Conferência Velo City, em Sevilha) • Possible Trip to Girona (http://www.viesverdes.org/);
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS CYCLING TRAIL PLANNING • River cycling pathways, with scientific information about the fauna, flora, culture and patrimonial resources of the lagoon and surroundings (produced by the Biology Department of the University of Aveiro/Oporto) and with a network of entertainment activities (sport, culture and nature); • Cycle Trail - 175 Km; • Use existing paths (shared space & some segregated) • Trail was conceived to articulate with other transports (rail);<<<
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS CYCLING TRAIL PLANNING LEARNING PROCESS • Organized test-leisure cycling trips with different target groups (students, entrepreneurs, mobility professionals); • 20 km linear trip (2/3 hours); • Listen opinions about potentials/ limitations & ask improvement proposals • Stimulate future visits, activities investments;
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS PUBLIC BICYCLE SYSTEM • Building a community bicycle system, with the adequate information support - GPS, www, itineraries, brochures; • Launching public contest to produce CICLORIA bicycles with some key characteristics: durability; easy identification; different dimensions (kids also); • Developing specific software for GPS incorporating environmental, cultural and patrimonial knowledge of Murtosa, involving ICT enterprises and Aveiro University;
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS PEDAGOGIC PROGRAMME – ‘CYCLING FACTORY AT SCHOOL’ • Articulate the project with School curricula, stimulating students to use the bike as a tool to discover their place (municipality/lagoon) supported by scientific and cultural knowledge and improving their sense of belonging and reinforcing their identity; • Experiences: – In class room– bicycle & health; – In the play ground – Bicycle Scientists • Schools changing experiences
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS NATIONAL YOUTH CONTEST - PEDALAR XXI • Promote regular use of the bicycle through involvement in activities related to Road Safety, Health, Environment, Space/Place; • Stimulate culture of citizenship and experimentation and involvement with local communities; • [3.rd Grade] Evaluating Ecological Footprint of the School • [Secondary School] Evaluating Cycling Routes to Schools
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS RIA DE AVEIRO LEISURE CYCLING FESTIVAL • Final big event of the project; • Live testing of CICLORIA Cycle Trail; • Local students in performing art events in different parts of the trail; • Cycle Trail & Water trail ; • Local Stakeholders involvement: Cenário (traditional boat recovery association), Amigos do Cáster (environment defence group); Pierrots (performing arts), OriEstarreja (BTT), Ventos da Ria (tradicional folk music), Associação de Caçadores e Pescadores de Avanca, Rotaract Club de Estarreja, Nortada (water sport); • Night (urban) events – music/bicycles; alley cat; • Three days: 10/12 de June 2011
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT • Developed a Brainstorming Session (with business incubator association) in news business ideas in cycling / leisure cycling • Stimulating new developments/projects in support services (Cycle Garage, Touristic Guides, Shops, Police, Health) involving local institutions and stimulating entrepreneurship/start- up businesses; • Organizing a Institutional Framework to improve a ‘cluster approach’ to the development of Bicycle Economy (linking municipalities, cycling industry, national ICT association, enterprises);
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS VALUING SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE TO IMPROVE LEISURE TRAILS & ENJOYMENT OF THE LAGOON • Organizing scientific and local knowledge about several aspects of Ria de Aveiro to develop a more interesting, qualified and rich leisure cycling mobility culture; • Inviting Tour Operators to help us defining new products and to identify needs; • Searching for new formats (web, mobiles, paper,…) to show the new scientific contents;
3. CICLORIA – ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS COMMUNICATION • Good and clear communication is essential in a non-linear, collaborative & social-constructivist approach • Help us to – Produce a identification with the project (be part of) – Stimulate and align social and economic dynamics – Receive comments/suggestions during the project Organize • International Conference • Blog (conference, project) • New site • Facebook • Meeting with local stakeholders • Newsletter (2) • Brochures and leaflets
4. CICLORIA – BALANCE,DISCUSSION & CONCLUSIONS RELEVANCE • Partnership between municipalities & university; • Build upon successful projects; • Opportunity to improve the knowledge of key resources; • Oriented to key target-groups (students and tourists; • Value scientific (University of Aveiro), technologic (institutions and private enterprises) and local (stakeholders) knowledge; • Stimulate new technologic services; • Creates a growing trail network, which amplifies its attractiveness and potential; • Stimulate stakeholder (culture, tourism, art) and school involvement; • Generate new of companies that provide services to support the system cycling; • Value international links;
4. CICLORIA – BALANCE,DISCUSSION & CONCLUSIONS KEY RESULTS • Deepen intermunicipal cooperation framework; • Better institutional environment with key partners (INOVARIA, ABIMOTA, INVESFER); • Created international links (Spain, UK,…); • An instrument of regional cycling policy discussion (Polis Ria de Aveiro); • Developed a mobile electronic device; • Mobilize school communities in building a new educational program; • Cycling Festival with a innovative concept (Water/Cycling Trails; Performing Arts/Local Tradition); • Effort to stimulate new business areas related to cycling mobility; • Increase social (and economic) utility and value of scientific and local knowledge with creative playful animation of cycling pathways;
4. CICLORIA – BALANCE,DISCUSSION & CONCLUSIONS DIFICULTIES • significant number of contracts in outsourcing; • burden of administrative procedures that support any initiative of public procurement; • lengthy administrative procedures and their consequences in the technical file; • procedures that have to be made in triplicate (3 municipalities); • fear of the draft (in progress) and dissemination of preliminary results; • difficulties in mobilizing local actors (changing agendas); • delays and technical difficulties (the site design, ...).
5. THE FUTURE OF LEISURE CYCLING IN THE RIA DE AVEIRO • High Quality Leisure Cycling Network linked to EUROVELO; • Promote a economic development dynamic (create jobs and growth), linking tradition with scientific knowledge; • Ria de Aveiro Leisure Cycling Festival with a strong local, national and international relevance and impact; • An intermunicipal organization for leisure cycling, with a strategic approach; • Sub-Region of Aveiro recognized nationally and internationally as a Leisure Cycling benchmarking case;
THANKS AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT WISH TO THANK AND ACKNOWLEDGE THOSE WHO MADE THIS GREAT, AMBICIOUS AND VERY HARD PROJECT POSSIBLE: EUROPEAN UNION AND NATIONAL GOVERNMENT MAYORS OF MURTOSA, ESTARREJA AND OVAR COORDINATORS OF THE PROJECT (FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF AVEIRO) TECHNICAL TEAM OF CICLORIA PROJECT MUNICIPAL STAFF (MURTOSA, ESTARREJA AND OVAR) LOCAL, REGIONAL AND NATIONAL STAKEHOLDERS INVOLVED SPECIALISTS COMMUNITIES JOSÉ CARLOS MOTA (firstname.lastname@example.org) DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL, POLITICAL AND TERRITORIAL SCIENCES -UNIVERSITY OF AVEIRO