Janet F. Taylor
27 Chelsea Court
Woodland Springs, AR 72764
Jan., 2004 - Assistant Director, Redford County Public Library District
Serves on the newly created Library Building Committee.
Worked extensivly on implementing plans/services for this new
building. Created the Library's Disaster Plan, ADA Strategic
Plan, In-Charge Manual, and Supervisor Management
Documents. Aides Department Heads in creating job
descriptions and solving personal problems. Worked with the
Maintenance Dept. to make their transition to the new building
2005 Acting Director, Redford County Public Library District
(Jan.-June 2005) Negotiated the new building plans through the
political obstacles of Redford County Public Library District.
Submitted the first budget ever that was passed on the first try
by the Trustees. Learned to balance Staff, Trustee, and
Feb., 1999- Associate Librarian/Head of Technical Services
Jan., 2004 (Redford County Public Library District)
Worked actively on the new building referendum with Staff,
Trustees, and community groups. Learned to manage a multi-
1998-1999 Associate Librarian/Head of Reference
(Redford County Public Library District)
Worked with my Department to form a service-oriented team
and a more in-depth collection. Was responsible for the
Library's building renovation in 1998
Reference Librarian (1995-1998), and Elementary School Librarian (1993-1995).
A variety of part-time positions between including Substitute Refrence Librarian at
Springdale College and Documents Technician at Grinnell College.
1988-1992 Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA (B.A.)
Major: Sociology Minor: Italian
Member: Nominations Committee
1992-1993 University of North Texas School of Library Science (M.S.)
Member: Library School Student Assoc.
Membership and Committees
American Library Association
Arkansas Library Association
Staff Development Comm.
2002 "First Line Supervisors: On the Edge", LAMA Journal, Fall, 2002.
Good health. Divorced with two children.
JANET F. TAYLOR
27 Chelsea Court
Woodland Springs, AR 72764
Home: 501.770.2828 Office: 501.770.1415
Objective: Position as Director in a small or medium-sized public library.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Solid supervisory and administrative skills gained in dynamic, medium-sized public library.
• Extensive experience in evaluation and implementation of electronic systems.
• Assisted in the management a budget of over $4 million.
• Wide range of experience in government and community relations.
Redford County Public Library District, Redford, AR
Assistant Director, 2004 - present
• Assisted in the daily management and administration of over 100 staff.
• Coordinated transition team to move central library to a new building.
• Chaired Library Building Committee, developed strategic plan, and presented plan to Library
Board which was accepted.
• Wrote comprehensive supervisory manual and library disaster plan.
• Served as Acting Director, 2005.
• Planned and implemented installation of an integrated library system (Dynix).
• Led team which evaluated library systems and made recommendation which was accepted.
Community and government relations
• Designed and implemented ADA Strategic Plan.
• Represented library on Redford County Business Development Committee.
• Negotiated building plans with community review board.
• Assisted in the management and oversight of a $4.5 million.
• Co-chaired Audit Review Committee and presented report.
• Led the budget submission team (2007) which was passed on the first attempt by the Library
Redford County Public Library District, Woodland Springs, AR
Associate Librarian/Head of Technical Services, 1999-2004
• Managed all aspects of Technical Service Department including acquisitions, serials,
interlibrary loan, and cataloging functions.
• Supervised 7 staff members.
• Received outstanding performance evaluation.
Janet Taylor, p. 2.
Cataloging and Technology
• Extensive use of OCLC and the Dynix integrated library system.
• Significant experience with AACR2 and MARC formats.
• Extensive audiovisual cataloging.
Head of Reference, 1998-99
• Supervised a staff of 8 reference librarians and 4 library aides.
• Served on the collection development committee and routinely led meetings.
• Chaired committee on user access which resulted in many improvements in the main reading
• Revised and improved library reference guide.
• Developed and monitored database budget.
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Reference Librarian, San Angelo Free Public Library, 1995-98.
Elementary School Librarian, Sam Houston Elementary School, Eagle Pass, TX, 1993-95.
M.S. in Library Science, University of North Texas, Denton, TX, 1993.
B.A., Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA, 1992. Major in psychology; minor in French. Member of Debate
Team and Oratory Choir.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION INVOLVEMENT
American Library Association, 1993-present
• Supervisory Skills Committee, Library Administration and Management Association. Helped
to establish a listserv on supervisory skills and assisted with the planning and implementation
of annual conference program: "First Line Supervisors: On the Edge."
Arkansas Library Association, 1999-present
• Member, 50th Anniversary Committee. Served on a team which planned Association events
for celebration. This included a Tribute Day event involving Arkansas legislators and media.
• Secretary, 1992-93.
VOLUNTEER WORK/PERSONAL INTERESTS
• Reading is Fun program volunteer, 2000-01. Tutored elementary school children on weekends.
• Volunteer coordinator, St. Mary Parish, 2002. Organized volunteer visits to three nursing and long
term care facilities.
• Embroidery, roller blading, travel, French language group.