Twitter 101 for Job Searchers
A Crash Course in Twitter
Why should I care about Twitter?
• There are Jobs being posted on Twitter!
• Recruiters are using Twitter to Network and Source Candidates!
• It helps you appear Current and Relevant!
Testimonial from Belinda Dodd here in DFW
From: Belinda Dodd
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 11:16 AM
Subject: RE: [NorthDallas CFG] FW: TweetMyJOBS Daily Job Listing Alert sales and
I just wanted to thank you. The lead you forwarded from Twitter about the
recruiter for Fannie Mae landed me a job starting 8/24/09 with CSC
Consulting. I have to admit that I was wrong in thinking no one would ever
get a job from twitter. Thanks again.
My Contact Information
What is Twitter?
• A micro-blogging
members post answers to a
question, “What are you
doing?” in 140 characters
• Explosive Growth
• Source for information,
recruiting & business
Open a Twitter
Takes 10 Minutes
Time to Twitter
• First you'll want to set up your profile.
• To do that, you'll go to "settings" (not
• Use your real name
• Create a user name symbolic of you or
your business (Unlike LinkedIn, you CAN
have more than one profile)
• Use a valid email address (you can
always create one in gmail or hotmail
just for twitter if you are worried about
• If you have a website, make sure you put
your URL in here. (It should help your
• Great time to define yourself in 160
characters or less for your BIO
• Be honest about your location.
• Use English if you know enough of it.
• I suggest NOT protecting your updates.
If you do it will be hard to grow your
network. Many people won't bother
taking the extra step to follow you.
• Don't forget to hit SAVE
• Choose a unique password.
• There are a lot of secondary apps (like Tweetdeck) that
will ask for your username and password. Don't use the
one you use for everything else.
• This feature proves
• You can have all
messages go to your
cell, no messages go
to your cell, or just
DM (direct message)
go to your cell.
• You can also specify
WHEN you want to
• These are all
• I don’t have
any but it’s up
• Keep thinking
• Headshot is best
• Many folks use
• If you are
use a logo.
Now you are ready to dive in!
• Start following people, target companies and job
• Start Tweeting (be relevant and give of yourself
– or ask questions)
• ReTweet information you think followers would
• Build your Network
• You can search people by name to start
• Look to see who they follow and follow
those that are interesting.
• Source for recruiters and job posters is
later in the presentation
• Follow those that follow you if you see
value or common interest areas. (Some
will be mass networkers.)
• To do that, write a Tweet with their user
names using the @ sign in front of their
• Then double click on the user, and Twitter
will take you to their profile.
• Then just hit "follow".
Block and Unfollow
• You can always block or unfollow Tweople
who do not live up to your expectation ☺
• Favorites is a neat little tool that allows
you to "star" your favorite tweets that
Twitter will keep in one place for you.
Replies or @Name
Replies or @Name is a way of
attention on Twitter.
Any time there is a "@" sign
before your name, Twitter
will let you know.
This is PUBLIC, so keep that
Want to start a conversation
without your whole
network being dragged
into it, use DM (direct
Mail) (Only works if they
are following you)
DM – Direct Mail
• Direct Mail allows you to privately converse with another
user without giving away your email address.
• DM's remain private to you and the person you are
conversing with. (Unless they Retweet it.)
# (Hash) Tags
1. Used as a way to filter / find content for
2. I.E. #job – to follow what people are
saying about jobs right now
3. All you do is include “#” + “letters” in your
tweet and it becomes instantly
4. People use # tags for topics – I.e.
#career, #followfriday and #sales
• Tweetdeck is a free
application that allows
you to create
"groups" for your
• Unlike Twitter, it's
• It will allow you to
create Tiny URL's
right from the app
screen plus much
Key Job Search Twitter Sites
• Follow me @RobertMoseley and see who I
follow. 90% are recruiters or job posters.
• Go to www.tweetmyjobs.com and set up a
search agent. Receive email notices.
• List of 1000+ Recruiters on Twitter
• List of job search accounts on Twitter
Other Useful Twitter Sites
• Twitdom is a database of Twitter applications.
• Search that combines Google and Twitter
• Hashtag listing http://hashtags.org/#
• Post your resume for reference in Tweets
http://twtjobs.com/ mine is http://twtjobs.com/0o93l9
• Twitter Business Card at http://twtbizcard.com/ mine at
• 100 Twitter Tools
• Hundreds more for your requirements
Go Forth and Tweet
Enough to get you started on Twitter.
If you have any questions, please feel free
to DM or @me with a question at
Presentation can be downloaded from my
Linked In profile via SlideShare application
Or you can email me with questions at
• "Everyone" lets you see – well - everyone on the Twitter
Network. Not just those following you or those you are
following. This is also a good place to start following
people. Then NEVER, I repeat never go back again!!!!
I have NO
What is Twitter?
• Concept Created
in 2006 by
• Called Twttr.
• 4-5 Million users
as of Nov. 2008.
• $57 million in
Retweet or RT